Wednesday Lunch Paddle #3: 6/10/2020 Riverhead Beach

Joseph Berkovitz

This week's Wednesday Lunch Paddle will be held on June 10, 2020.

Covid-19 paddling: on this trip we will strictly observe social distancing and MA state recreational boating guidelines for the pandemic. You must be a MA state resident to participate. There is a strict limit of 10 paddlers on the trip. If you do not pre-register using the form link below, you are not on the trip!

We will stay at least 6 feet apart, minimize sharing docks and ramps with others, and wear face masks while off the water in public use areas. We also employ an online waiver to avoid passing around a physical piece of paper.

To attend, please register using this form which will also add your information to the float plan:

https://forms.gle/avp37VKBjsrbtoGD9

You must be an NSPN member to join this trip. Your signup information will only be shared with other members on the trip.

Location: Riverhead Beach, Marblehead MA. (Sorry about the repetition, we're still short on solid alternatives during the pandemic; many put-ins still have limited or closed parking areas.)

https://goo.gl/maps/p6cWChiSE88bCkrCA

Predictions:  SE wind 7 to 10 kt increasing to 10 to 13 kt in the afternoon. Partly sunny, air temp 65 F, water temp 50s. Seas 1 to 2 ft.

Salem Harbor Tides:

2020/06/10 Wed 09:32 AM -0.21 L
2020/06/10 Wed 3:52 PM 8.60 H

When/what: We will launch at 10.30 sharp. Then we'll have a beach briefing in some safe manner, possibly on the water to avoid cramped quarters, make a plan together based on what people feel like doing.

This trip doesn't have a specific level: we'll determine the route based on who shows up, what people want to do, and what the environment wants to do. All properly equipped members are welcome: please bring boats with rigged deck lines, bulkheads, spray skirts, and dress for immersion.

NOTE: The Wednesday Lunch Paddles are cooperative adventures, not guided trips. Each participant is responsible for her/his own safety.Don’t assume the trip initiators are smarter, stronger, better at rough water, more attractive, or more skilled paddlers than you are. For more information, see this description of our trip philosophy from the NSPN web site. 

We encourage paddlers to make their own independent decision about their comfort level with conditions at the time of the paddle. Please PM me if you have questions or if you haven’t paddled with me or Bob before.

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz
correct wx forecast

I think your weather forecast got copied over from week #2. If not, please send some of that 55-degree air inland, where it's going to be pushing 90 on Wednesday!

I'm seeing this for June 10th off Marblehead: Wednesday high 68 F.  SE wind 7 to 10 kt increasing to 10 to 13 kt in the afternoon. Partly sunny. Seas 1 to 2 ft.

I'd like to clarify the limitation to MA paddlers. What exactly is the current MA policy? I'm starting to feel like a pariah with you guys all paddling up here, I think given the statistics, NH has a lot more to be concerned about than MA...

It is hard to know exactly what to do, but I can tell you that it's not about you. The MA policy "urges all visitors to self-quarantine for 14 days" and has not changed in Phase 2. Since we have a club that is openly posting trips, I have been trying to simply follow the policy and not get into second-guessing whether it makes sense compared to what other possibly states are doing.

Since it is hard to stay abreast of what's happening, going forward I will leave it completely up to paddlers to read the requirements and figure out what to do. I think the risk is obvious: it may not take much for a town to change its mind and re-close a launch facility that just opened. But that won't be on me to calculate just what that risk is.

Joe, I wasn't taking it personally, just speaking up for my fellow NHers. I'm admittedly still a little leery about travelling south but if I'm going to do it, I would do it to paddle. 

41 minutes ago, Jim Snyder said:

I'd like to clarify the limitation to MA paddlers. What exactly is the current MA policy? I'm starting to feel like a pariah with you guys all paddling up here, I think given the statistics, NH has a lot more to be concerned about than MA...

I get the feeling!  Now ME welcomes VT and NH but not us!  Crazy times.  Difficult to be cut off from each other.

Not only is there the self quarantine issue, there's also the No out of state cars at many boat launches here.  Like I said, crazy!

From what I've read, and seen on the light up signs on the sides of I95, is MA is requestining a 14-day quarantine for people coming into the state.  But it is a request and not a law.