Is it possible to have group day paddles and maintain social distance?

Ken

Is it possible to have group day paddles and maintain social distance?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks for the updates.  I'm not so hardcore that I need to get out now.  Some warm day in April, I'll head down the Charles solo to get some fresh air and exercise.

-K

As someone who has academic (Masters and Doctorate) and work experience in Public Health/Community Health for over 30 years -- please reconsider any group paddles for now until we learn differently from public health experts with expertise in infectious diseases.

This is not the time to second guess public health experts. This is a "novel" or new virus which translates into we don't know. We don't know how the sun affects it, we don't know how long it contaminates, we don't know about direct and indirect transmission, we don't know if salt water helps or hinders the spread, we don't know if warm weather stops it , we don't know if we use toggles, etc - we just don't know. Our understanding of this virus is evolving.

But we do know it can be  deadly for some  and others may experience  "mild" symptoms which  often times can be frightening, painful and isolating. 

I have  been paddling for twenty-odd years and know that even in the best conditions of calm seas and light winds, something can happen and before you know it , close contact.

Many of us are healthy and we want to jump into our boats and paddle with our pals.  Some of us however live with people or have loved ones or have family members who are not so healthy. Why risk the health of others? Why risk the health of loved ones and family members?

Be wise, be healthy and stay safe.

Les

I read back over this thread and confirmed that the positions of many of us (including me) evolved over the last week or so. But to be fair, even at the beginning I don't think any of us were second guessing public health experts. We were looking at what we do and saying in effect, that's easily adaptable to be no more impact than solo paddling. That being said, I have come around to the position that if I paddle with anyone else it will be meeting one other person on the water and keeping plenty of distance. If I see any other boater on the water in trouble, I will assist.

Before reading this thread, I was planning to talk to a few friends about a paddle or maybe join one here.  However, a lot of good points were made here.  It would be hypocritical for me criticize others for going on spring break while I paddled  with friends even though the risk was less. 

We are all role-models.   

1 hour ago, Lbeale said:

As someone who has academic (Masters and Doctorate) and work experience in Public Health/Community Health for over 30 years -- please reconsider any group paddles for now until we learn differently from public health experts with expertise in infectious diseases.

This is not the time to second guess public health experts. This is a "novel" or new virus which translates into we don't know. We don't know how the sun affects it, we don't know how long it contaminates, we don't know about direct and indirect transmission, we don't know if salt water helps or hinders the spread, we don't know if warm weather stops it , we don't know if we use toggles, etc - we just don't know. Our understanding of this virus is evolving.

But we do know it can be  deadly for some  and others may experience  "mild" symptoms which  often times can be frightening, painful and isolating. 

I have  been paddling for twenty-odd years and know that even in the best conditions of calm seas and light winds, something can happen and before you know it , close contact.

Many of us are healthy and we want to jump into our boats and paddle with our pals.  Some of us however live with people or have loved ones or have family members who are not so healthy. Why risk the health of others? Why risk the health of loved ones and family members?

Be wise, be healthy and stay safe.

Les

Leslie, 

A boatload of "we don't knows" there..thanks,  One thing I know is self check outs at the stores are freaking me out. Never see anyone clean them. Be safe, this will pass.

Thank you all for  the thoughtful discussion. I switched to NO as well. Its not mainly the paddle itself but the preparation, travel and in and out that are the most hazardous as well as the issue of modeling. 

Glad to learn more as the situation progresses

I guesss I will get to know the Neponset estuary  and Hingham bay, like the back of my hand.

I wonder what willl happen to the Blackburn Challenge? 

Regards

Pablo

Hi All

I would like to suggest that the club consider supporting in some way our  beloved paddle businesses and partners that may soon be suffering. Such as: MITA, Lobster Bouy, Langolan Inn and the neighboring camping spot, Main heritage trails..., Charles Rver, and others I have forgotten. As well as maybe buying from them rather than on-line .

I would be glad to donate.

Pablo