Wed. Lunch Paddle: 7/24/19 @ Riverhead Beach, Marblehead

Joseph Berkovitz

O People of the Paddle, heed our call!

NSPN Wednesday Lunch Paddle #13 (sorry triskaidecaphobics, we don't skip that number) takes place on July 24, 2019. Bob is away this week, but I am back from California and it's good to be home again.

We will meet up at Riverhead Beach, Marblehead at 10 am. The launch location has been determined scientifically, by analyzing the fact that I will not have a car at my disposal.

It appears we will enjoy some of the best summer weather, with temps around 70 F, light easterly winds and partly sunny skies.  Seas 1' or less.  LT is 11.06a @ 1.1 ft, so there will be some carrying or beach driving when we put in, but with the neap tide it's by no means the worst that Riverhead has to offer.

Let's meet at 10 am sharp, and ready to launch around 10.20 am. Then we'll have a beach briefing, make a plan together based on what people feel like doing, and get on the water, hopefully around 10.30 am. Many different kinds of trip are possible if the forecast holds up.

This trip doesn't have a specific level: we'll determine the route based on who shows up, what people want to do, and what the environment wants to do. All properly equipped members are welcome: please bring rigged boats with deck lines, bulkheads, spray skirts, and dress for immersion.

NOTE: The Wednesday Lunch Paddles are cooperative adventures, not guided trips. Each participant is responsible for her/his own safety. Don’t assume the trip initiators are smarter, stronger, better at rough water, more attractive, or more skilled paddlers than you are. For more information, see this description of our trip philosophy from the NSPN web site.  A waiver/float plan will be created at the launch, so there's no need to commit in advance. It's always 100% OK to show up, decide you don't like the conditions or the trip, and opt out.

If you're interested in coming, it's nice if you let us know by posting on this thread. There is no calendar entry for this particular trip. Other conversation (including stating your interest in going) can also happen on this thread.

Looking forward to seeing you there! 

I have wanted to join these trips since summer began. I do plan to join you in Marblehead  tomorrow for this one. My paddling this summer has been on the river, and its way past time to dust off the big red boat.  

Elizabeth