location suggestions

NPearson

The Hermit island trip that I ran last year seemed to go down really well.  The format worked;

Travel Friday night to a campsite in Maine with a beach then do day paddles with Saturday evening at the campsite.  Travel home Sunday after a short paddle.

I plan to arrange another similar weekend in May/ June of this year and wondered if anyone could suggest alternative locations.  Are there any other beach-front, tent-friendly campsites that you could recommend?  

Nick

Nick

Other campgrounds off the top of my head include:

Winslow Park in Freeport;

Sagadahoc Bay Campground in Georgetown- only on the upper half of the tide and this campground is located near the mouth of the Kennebec River with lots of exposure and currents

Gray Homestead Campground on Southport Island

Ames Island Campground in Muscongus Bay

Lobster Buoy Campground in the Muscle Ridge area near Rockland

Old Quarry Campground in Deer Isle

Hadley Point Campground and Mt Desert Campground on MDI

Mountainview Campground Gouldsboro

Jonesport Campground in Jonesport

Are you a MITA member?  The MITA Guidebook has information on all of these campgrounds. 

Nick -

We did have fun last year. Thanks for that great trip. 

Dan has some excellent suggestions but I think a few things at Gray Homestead Campground recently changed. They now offer only RV sites. The fee is $48 per night, or if oceanfront,  $65 per night. Mid June to Sept, it is a 7 night stay minimum, Sat to Sat only. There is a 3 night minimum May through early June.  My understanding is that they are moving towards getting as many seasonal commitments as possible. I am not sure if they would allow tents on the RV sites. I sent an email to see, will let you know what I hear back from them. 

I think that Floods Cove / Ames Island is a great area. I would love to camp there sometime. I stopped once when kayaking by and it is very nice. I do not believe that you can actually drive to the sites, but would have to kayak or boat over. I think that you are looking for a car camping weekend, but if not it opens up  more possibilities. 

Hadley Point Campground is not actually on the water, but they are very nice and are kayaker friendly. There is a nice beach nearby. I think that you may be wanting to stay further south. It may be a little too far for a weekend trip for those driving in from other states. 

Winslow Park is very popular with kayakers. The ocean front sites are very windy but there is good launching for campers.  The regular launch site is painfully muddy and difficult below half tide, but the beach area for campers is good. I think that this or Lobster Buoy may be your best bet, for a Friday to Sunday trip. 

Dan suggested some great campgrounds and areas  (let's just camp all summer?). 

Thanks for looking into this again Nick  - you did a great job planning it last year. 

Cath 

Agree with Paul. Consider non-beachfront campgrounds, with a short drive to put-in, do a day paddle, then back to the campground, or on to another campground. If the latter, perhaps you should be doing a sea safari, with islands as campgrounds, since you'd be breaking camp either way?

This seemed to work out well for a few of us a few summers ago (see trip reports from mid-August, 2017).

g