Squam Lake, Oct 19-21, 2018

Dan Foster

Seven of us enjoyed a weekend of paddling, hiking, dining, and camping on Moon Island in Squam Lake. We launched under sunny skies from the Squam Lakes Association in Holderness, NH, and paddled to Moon, where we set up camp and then set out for an afternoon exploration of the islands and coves to the south. Cocktail hour in the sun by the water's edge transitioned to our traditional potluck dinner and dessert and conversations around a roaring fire.

On Saturday we all paddled north to visit the outdoor chapel at Church Island, and then half of the group hiked up the Rattlesnakes for lunch and views, while the rest of us explored the NE end of the lake. The SW wind picked up in the afternoon, and both groups had a sporty paddle back to camp, where more food, fire, and fellowship ensued. A few of us even pried ourselves away from the campfire for a moonlight paddle under the starry sky.

We woke on Sunday to dropping temperatures and building SW wind, and decided to head back to the cars after breakfast. In our final 5 minutes of paddling before turning into the shelter of Piper Cove, the winds ratcheted up another few notches, and we all got one final thrill before ending our trip and heading back home.

These kayak camping trips are absolutely my favorite part of the NSPN experience, and I'd love to see more members join us at Squam or on other beginner-friendly overnight trips in 2019. If there are things that held you back from camping with NSPN this year (too cold, can't take time off work, not sure if you have the right gear, e.g.), I'd really like to hear from you (you can send me a PM or discuss it here). For next year, we're aiming for a Saturday/Sunday trip on Columbus Day weekend, with an option to stay over until Monday, so that nobody has to take time off of work. There's also talk about scheduling some early and late summer trips for people who aren't comfortable with "shoulder-season" camping weather. Come join us!