Orient Point Nu-Yawk

rick stoehrer

Spent the weekend with Greg and Kayak Waveology teaching and paddling over along the tip of the N fork of Long Island.

Despite the strange customs (they like the yankees?) and language (which seems to be english adjacent), the paddling was outstanding and the company, paddlers fantastic.

The Flood and Ebb work between Orient Point and Plum Island (and no, you still cannot land there - they WILL arrest you) and if you've got any wind or sell working against it, it is MORE than enough to keep any thrill seekers in check.  We  primarily worked between the point and orient point lighthouse (which is tipped at a bit of a jaunty angle) and the current and waves working through there were fine for what we were doing....off in the distance between the lighthouse and Plum we could see some seriously large stuff working but that was too far, too powerful and too much for reasonable people to be fiddling around in....

you can take the LONG way round and drive OR take the ferry from New London....there IS a campground on E end about 15 minutes from the ferry/put in - no ocean access there though so you'll either have to take your car or sort out the logistics of moving boat and kit to campground.

it's a blast but can be a sketchy place to paddle - lotsa very fast water pushing you towards a busy channels and a lotta boats....behave accordingly.

but go....it's fun as hell

...and on a, oooh, boy, don't do that note....

...it's been a busy summer at work so i haven't paddled nearly as much as i have in years past....this weekend i put the vest mounted short tow onto a bow to pull a raft during a rescue...only to find that last year when i put this thing up, i DID NOT in fact have a daisy chain in that line that would allow it to cleanly play out and give me room to manuver boats....nope, i had clipped into the system in rough moving water with a line that put the raft RIGHT BEHIND my waist and THAT, also in fact, was bad.....

so...one dunk in the water later i unclipped myself from the raft and i fixed the gear.

....sooo, while we all say it and we all mean to do it, it's probably an outstanding idea to check your gear...everytime.