Tide race at the mouth of the Kennebec

Does anyone know if the tide race that many NSPNers know and have visited with John C. east of Popham on the east side of the larger of the 2 rocks (named Sugarloafs or something else sugar-related?) in the mouth of the Kennebec gets created reliably on the ebb, regardless of what's coming in from the South? Minimum flow to create reasonably fun conditions?

Thanks,

Andy

There are two current play spots there. One is between Wood and Pond south of the channel. At max ebb it does not take much swell to get it lively. Bigger swell and you better be ready for rescues and a good time.  The zipper will set up around the bar north of Wood and you can surf with all sand and easy bailouts.

North of the channel there is Jack Rock. Go to the north side of Jack. There is a nice tidal race that will give smaller clean waves and no swell is needed that I recall.

On a bigger day Jack is   ( IMO)  safer and easier for newer players. Many options for surfing at the beaches near fox if the crowds are down. 

I have free days and might be able to get up there, PM with dates if you want. thxs

A lot of variables. On average, there is a good tide race on the ebb at the northeast end of Pond Island and at Jack Rock,  which  can of course be either  bigger or tamer depending on wind direction,  incoming swell, and tides . When all of these come together - south wind ,swell from the south, and a bigger ebb tide-   the tide races  there can be big and challenging. When they don't - a smaller tide,  little or  no wind or a north wind, and little or no swell, there is plenty of current but probably mild standing waves, so the area is still worth a visit, just not as exciting or challenging, depending on how much you are looking for. 

Thanks for input gentlemen. I’ve paddled Jack Rock’s tide race (on same charts I guess the 2 rocks are called Sugarloafs if I’m not mistaken) a few times in medium-plus conditions. Always thankful for bigger conditions but mainly wanted to make sure I still get to play if wind and swell are not against ebb flow, provided no flattening N wind.

Paul, haven’t had the pleasure to play between Wood and Pond in conditions yet but looking forward.

Shame we don’t have a bigger tide race closer to the North Shore, although area below Crane Estate can kick up pretty good in ideal conditions.

Best tides races in NE are off Groton and Stonington CT. Fishers, Sugar Reef, Wicopissat. Well worth the drive and effort. Probably less drive time than Popham.