6th Annual Muscle Ridge, Lobster Buoy Campsites, 9.22.17

gyork

Skip report; go straight to slideshow

On a picture-perfect fine mid-September morning, kayak-campers were gathering at the Lobster Buoy campsites' group site, in dribs and drabs. Apparently, I had missed the communication of a certain “biggest tent contest“. I greeted my good friend Dave, the owner of the building, who gave me the tour. In the back wing, he had been adding gelcoat to his kayak. I expressed my concern over the amount of real estate he was occupying. No worries-he was planning to make a little money renting out rooms to some of the 20 paddlers who had signed up from the 4 paddling groups.

IMG_1114.thumb.jpg.75542cb2c47b7a5c0a9548f2c205ca6b.jpg

A loose plan of a 1 o’clock paddle started to materialize; Marcy, Christian, Dave, Pablo, Jordan, Yong, and I launched at 1:30, and headed left, NE up the coast.

IMGP0002.thumb.JPG.07cfbcf1dd9e7c1a6c644c52d35962da.JPG

We tried to locate the MITA campsite around Spaulding Island, without definite success. We meandered up and around (Christian and I) Ash island on this day that had predicted 15 knot winds, residual from petering-out hurricanes. The waters around the northern green can were not a little confused, and rather sporting, though the wind was nowhere near 10K. We bee-lined back to the launch site (link to track:  here )and welcomed additional partners, including newcomers Jared/Candy and Anne, Liz, Kyle, Jeff, Michael, Susan, Cath, Sue, and Peter. The always-exemplary potluck buffet was served under the “Full-moon“ of the 9000 W, insurance-required flood light. Of course a campfire was kindled, as were friendships, new and old.

Because of the size of the group, Saturday called for breaking up into smaller pods, two of which did the nickel tour of the archipelago, in opposite directions, while the third-party (Pablo, Kyle, John, Lyn, Barbara, and I) meandered up the coast to Owls Head lighthouse. IMGP0012.thumb.JPG.fd79b0b299b7fd7da1ac0478d32070ae.JPG

We enjoyed lunch on a lovely beach.IMGP0016.thumb.JPG.dff250cabe3861a7c0d106c0a5721756.JPG

On this flat-water day Kyle and I were looking to extend the trip and decided to shoot for the muscle ridge chain, while others in the group poked back to the launch. We found the tiny bridge at Hewitt Island constriction a challenge, IMGP0020.thumb.JPG.09125d7829e759ac4458ee2eeb52de2a.JPG

but, because of the tide cycle, were able to contort our way through, just barely. A quick stop to stretch legs, etc., before heading back to the launch site, via Spruce head. Trip track:  here  

Supper plans for that night included half of the group staying at base camp, while the other half carpooled to Rockland, to enjoy a most excellent repast at Café Miranda.

A Sunday morning trip was enjoyed by six or so paddlers, involving carpooling, a one-way trip from Rockland back to Lobster Buoy.

Edited by gyork