Woods Hole current/tiderace Columbus weekend

josko

Come check out Woods Hole during a prime spring tide. We'll be meeting at 9 at Pie in the Sky bakery each day and paddling current, tiderace or maybe even  downwind surfing.  This is also a good chance to meet some RICKA paddlers.  (Please expect 6-8 knot flows and 3-4 knot tideraces, i.e. NSPN lvl 4.)

I'd like to offer my home to NSPN members; there are three guest bedrooms, couple couches, finished basement, etc.  Please let me know if you'd like to stay over, and I'll do my best to accommodate all. I'll also find us all something to eat after paddling each day. 

Noontime slacks offer a chance to set up two events  per day. What we do will depend on winds, but we'll likely spend afternoon ebb flows in Woods Hole passage; it's great training for the big Maine reversing falls.

Please rsvp here if you're thinking of attending, and contact me via p.m. if you'd like a place to stay.

Edited by josko

Looks like we have a good, solid group, primarily from RICKA. Saturday forecast winds are light S,  so I propose we focus on current technique.  We'll warm up with ~3-4 kts of current in the morning, take a short paddle or long lunch during noontime slack tide, and then work an area with 6+ kts in the afternoon.  Most intensive part of the day will occur between 1 and 3. This is a park/n play event; daily distance < 8 miles, so bring whatever boat you like for current.  I'll see you at the Pie; please be ready to go (leave the Pie) by 9.
Water temp is 66; I'll be wearing a dry top. Helmets, please.

Please RSVP here if you're thinking of coming Saturday. I'll put up similar posts for Sunday and Monday later. 

Sunday looks like a demanding 5* tiderace day.  If wind direction is anything E of SSW, we'll have ample playtime at Great Ledge tiderace in the morning, but the height of the day will be Nobska lighthouse tiderace from 1300-1600. It'll run ~4 kts and could get quite big.  On the good side, we're < 1/4 mile from shore, there is a nice, safe eddy to rest up in, and there are smaller, less ambitious sections only a few hundred yards away.
Solid combat roll and a willingness to look out for your mates,  please.

Edited by josko

Monday, come prepared for a downwind surfing run from Woods Hole to Bourne bridge. It's a 12 mile run with a halfway bailout point. Meet at Pie at 9, and we'll have to do a car spot.