Folly Cove Launch

Marshall

A friend and I are going to be staying close to Folly Cove. Other than what I've read on dive sites, paddling past it on a number of Blackburns and drive bys, is there anything of interest I should be aware of launching/landing here?

Anyone want to come along on day paddles June 8-10?

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

Thanks.

Being that the house I'm staying at is almost across from Folly I'll put my Astral Rasslers uber grip to the test. I'll see how they do on saltwater infused slippery rocks.

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

hudsonriverpaddler.org

As others have advised, put-in at Lanes Cove! Folly Cove, whilst beautiful and attractive, is littered with underwater rocks and boulders close-in. (It is also the haunt of the scuba folk) I wouldn't put-in there, with Lanes Cove less than a mile up the road...you asked!

As a former diver, just know that Folly Cove is a big spot for divers in the area. I used to go there every weekend. Many do dives just off the shore. I am not saying that it is not an ideal launch site, but just be aware that they are there.

Thank you Pintail for the emphasis "!" although the description of lurking underwater boulders makes for far better reason to look into Lane's Cove than slippery boulders. I've rappelled into ww launches before so if it's less than that effort no problem but no need to scrunch up a composite hull unnecessarily looking for passage between hiding rocks.

Some other forums have claimed some safety issues for parked vehicles there. Is this a current concern or something of the past?

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

hudsonriverpaddler.org