2017 CAM On-Water Training #2 June 17

rfolster

For many years now, NSPN has organized it's trips using a system called the Common Adventure Model, or CAM.  Common Adventure trips can be very interactive for all participants, and therefore tend to encourage learning and improving various paddling skills.  Using this system, paddlers can quickly develop the skills to be a more confident paddler, more capable group member, and even become a group leader themselves.

The On-Water training sessions are designed for the more skilled paddler to explore various leadership and advanced participant skills including group management and incident management.  Due to the time of year, location, and expected activities (people will be in the water) cold-water gear is required (drysuits, or wetsuits if weather permits).  This year, we have decided to emphasize the core CAM concepts, and use the opportunity to dispel some long-standing CAM misunderstandings such as "CAM is leaderless".  Even if you are a long-time NSPN paddler and think you know CAM, you should come and join in on the conversations.

These sessions are not sequential, and do not require previous classroom attendance, so if you can attend only one, that is fine.  However, each session will be quite different, and it would be beneficial to attend both if possible.  Please RSVP on the calendar to indicate you would like to attend.  Location and launch time will be provided to those who mark themselves as 'Maybe" or "Going".

• 4 weeks later...

Rob's away until Friday night, so I'll be getting us ready for Saturday.  It looks as if conditions will be mild for the weekend, and I'd encourage newer paddlers to join in and learn how we paddle together as a club and how you can become an asset to the group.

The plan for the day will evolve as we can better predict conditions and as we discuss together what we'd like to accomplish for the day...that's the nature of CAM, after all.  I'd anticipate a short trip with some (always optional) play in rocks or surf if we can find any, some incident management (if we don't have any incidents, we'll make them), and some (again optional) rescue practice in a more protected area at the end of the day.

Do post here or PM me with any questions.  I'll also be at Chebacco on Thursday evening, as usual.

Thanks for stepping up Mike.  Unfortunately most of the usual suspects are unavailable to help this weekend.  So a great opportunity for others to step up and make this workshop great.

Phil

I'll be there. NH weather has overcast, but good chance of sun in afternoon. Like idea of Newcastle. Might be able to play in current under Wentworth bridge after 3:00 pm.