Outfitting glue -- H2/Scotch-Grip vs Weldwood/DAP

djlewis

I've been using the H2 Glue sold by Wild Wasser (and via NRS and other outlets) and finding it a bit better to work with than the old standby Weldwood/DAP Contact Cement available in hardware stores. It's thinner, so it's easier to apply accurately, dries to tacky faster, and goes farther. The applicator-brush can is nice too, as it eliminates issues with cleaning and storing a brush.

Any experience or opinions on how good a job H2 does? It's been fine for me so far.

The one (big) drawback is the itty-bitty 4oz cans that Wild Wasser and others sell for $13-14! That comes to about $100/quart, $400/gallon, and limits usage to small jobs. The little applicator brush likewise only works well for small areas.

But -- with the last can of H2 Glue I got there was a material safety data sheet that revealed what it really is -- Scotch-Grip 4693! And that sells by web order for $20-25/quart or $50/gallon (plus perhaps some significant shipping $$) (Anybody know a local source that will sell onesies?)

Assuming the verdict on this stuff is good, anyone want to split a gallon?

--David.

A gallon!!!...are you going into the boat outfitting business? I prefer the small cans. easier to deal with, easier to store, and cheaper to replace when I inevitably don't close the lid tight enough.

>A gallon!!!...are you going into the boat outfitting business?

No -- that's precisely what I ~don't~ want to do. I'm suggesting a group buy of some gallons -- then bring your own can to get your share.

> I prefer the small cans. easier to deal with,

>easier to store, and cheaper to replace when I inevitably

>don't close the lid tight enough.

The little H2 Glue cans have screw-on lids rather than hammer-down ones, so they're a whole lot easier to close reliably. But bring your own, even an empty H2 can. Instead of $14 + shipping, it would cost you, say, $5.

--David.