Counterclockwise Blackburn Circuit

leong

This is a preemptive strike against anything Les Beale, PhD has to say.

Les and I started the trip from Lane's Cove. Once we started paddling down the Annisquam I noticed Les wasn't using enough trunk rotation. So I showed her a way to force it. Big mistake! She took off like a speed demon and I could hardly keep up. Eventually I couldn't catch my breath so I yelled out that I need a pee stop. She yelled back "use your bottle" and she kept going, her arms looked like a windmill in a hurricane.

Once in Gloucester Harbor I yelled out that I was starving so she reluctantly agreed to take a lunch break on Ten-Pound-Island. We stayed there for almost an hour ... I think she took pity on me.

Once back in our boats I somehow I kept up with her until we rounded dogbar and then I needed to slow down a little. Since the pee excuses didn't work I tried another trick. I yelled out "FISH ON" and she came about to see what I caught (actually nothing). So I told her it got away. Tried this several more times to slow her down and eventually she caught on to my subterfuge and began ignoring it. Around Braces Cove I had no energy left, but I lucked out. There, out of the rocks, came Kevin B and another paddler going in the opposite direction. Les slowed down to allow me to converse with Kevin.

I couldn't take it any more when we reached Thatcher Island .... Les was moving along like a speeding banshee. But alas, I was running out of excuses to slow her down. For some unknown reason I yelled out Paula Jones and she came about to see what I was talking about. Actually I didn't have the foggiest idea! But it worked for awhile ... she did slow down to see whether I was going nuts and to laugh at me. Eventually she sped up again. When I could no longer keep up I yelled out Obama and Newt Gingridge. Again she came about to see what I was talking about. Then I realized that this was the best way to slow this demon down. So every few minutes or so I yelled out some new random names including (but not limited to) Terry Schiavo, Elian Gonzalez, Monica Lewinsky, Jeremiah Wright and President Bush. Soon Les was laughing hysterically and her paddling cadence slowed considerably. In fact, I could keep up with her. When we reached Lanes Cove (around 6 PM) she let me beat her to the shore. In gratitude I carried her boat to the car for her. And that's the true skinny of our trip around Cape Ann. Don't believe a word of what Les has to say about the trip.

This is a preemptive strike against anything Les Beale, PhD has to say.

Les and I started the trip from Lane's Cove. Once we started paddling down the Annisquam I noticed Les wasn't using enough trunk rotation. So I showed her a way to force it. Big mistake! She took off like a speed demon and I could hardly keep up. Eventually I couldn't catch my breath so I yelled out that I need a pee stop. She yelled back "use your bottle" and she kept going, her arms looked like a windmill in a hurricane.

Once in Gloucester Harbor I yelled out that I was starving so she reluctantly agreed to take a lunch break on Ten-Pound-Island. We stayed there for almost an hour ... I think she took pity on me.

Once back in our boats I somehow I kept up with her until we rounded dogbar and then I needed to slow down a little. Since the pee excuses didn't work I tried another trick. I yelled out "FISH ON" and she came about to see what I caught (actually nothing). So I told her it got away. Tried this several more times to slow her down and eventually she caught on to my subterfuge and began ignoring it. Around Braces Cove I had no energy left, but I lucked out. There, out of the rocks, came Kevin B and another paddler going in the opposite direction. Les slowed down to allow me to converse with Kevin.

I couldn't take it any more when we reached Thatcher Island .... Les was moving along like a speeding banshee. But alas, I was running out of excuses to slow her down. For some unknown reason I yelled out Paula Jones and she came about to see what I was talking about. Actually I didn't have the foggiest idea! But it worked for awhile ... she did slow down to see whether I was going nuts and to laugh at me. Eventually she sped up again. When I could no longer keep up I yelled out Obama and Newt Gingridge. Again she came about to see what I was talking about. Then I realized that this was the best way to slow this demon down. So every few minutes or so I yelled out some new random names including (but not limited to) Terry Schiavo, Elian Gonzalez, Monica Lewinsky, Jeremiah Wright and President Bush. Soon Les was laughing hysterically and her paddling cadence slowed considerably. In fact, I could keep up with her. When we reached Lanes Cove (around 6 PM) she let me beat her to the shore. In gratitude I carried her boat to the car for her. And that's the true skinny of our trip around Cape Ann. Don't believe a word of what Les has to say about the trip.

Thats why I carry my tow belt bag in front of me...

Just you wait, Leon---to be continued with the litany of "What was her or his name?" people--It is my secret weapon to get fast paddlers to slow down--I ask for the name of some flash in the pan newsbreaker--they get so distracted they forget their full rotation--works every time-- you're going wish you never said those names, by the way--you forgot Linda Tripp(sp)--Les