We will be hosting a SOLO WFA AFLOAT w/CPR course on August 17th and 18th for those who might be interested. Details will follow regarding cost, location, etc., but at least this folks can put this on their radars if interested.

http://www.soloschools.com/index.cfm?event=courses.show&ctid=37

For those that don't know, the SOLO school is "The Oldest Continuously Operating School Of Wilderness Medicine In the World". The Wilderness First Aid courses are not specifically for those who are going to be in areas where there are no emergency services, but even for those who are just remotely located enough to delay emergency services. The Wilderness First Aid Afloat course is specifically designed for those operating on the water where emergency services are limited or non-existent, and is a perfect compliment to much of the training we receive inside and out of NSPN.

I am pushing participation in this course because I have signed up twice (with other hosts) this year only to have the courses cancelled due to lack of participation. I would REALLY like to take this course, and need others to keep the quota. Yeah, kinda selfish, I know! But hey, you can still benefit, too!

Rob,

You are correct, a Wilderness First Aid (WFA) course with a focus on water based activities is important for all sea kayakers especially those of us who kayak camp. Once you obtain your WFA certificate, it will be good for two years. Many of us renewed our WFA certification in the spring of 2012, and for us we will not go back to class until the spring of 2014.

I do hope your class obtains the necessary number of participants. The knowledge will be very helpful.

Warren

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Ok, here are the details for the course:

LOCATION: Winter Island Maritime Park, 50 Winter Island Road, Salem, MA 01970

PARKING: Attendees will not need to pay for parking. State that you are here for a Salem Kayak event and we will give you a day pass to place on your dashboard when you park)

DATES: 8/17 and 8/18

HOURS: 8am to 4 pm. each day (AHA Heart saver CPR from 4 - 7pm on 8/17)

COSTS: $175

FOR THOSE TRYING TO RE-CERTIFY: add $15.

TO REGISTER: please email me at rpskayakcoachingatmacdotcom and I will respond with confirmation that you are on the list and where payment should be sent. Feel free to also send along any questions that you may have.

Hi Kevin, I am just curious as to why there is an additional fee for a recertification. And does that apply for WFA H20 or std WFA?

The recertification fee is what SOLO requires for those who want reup their First Responder (WFR) status. This is not for those whose WFA certs have expired and just want to be certified again.

From the SOLO site:

"WILDERNESS FIRST RESPONDER (WFR)

& INTERNATIONAL WILDERNESS FIRST RESPONDER

WFR certification is good for three years. You have three options for recertifying:

• Take SOLO's 2-day, WFR Refresher course. You must pass a written exam (70%) and provide proof of current CPR certification. See WFR Review course dates.
  • Take a SOLO WFA course. You must pass a written exam (70%) and provide proof of current CPR certification. There will be a $15 recertification fee. See WFA course dates.
  • Participate in a state-authorized EMT/First Responder Refresher Training Program, plus, the SOLO 1-day Wild Day. You must pass a written exam (70%) and provide proof of current CPR certification."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Minimum number?

Not to revisit the issue, but I often don't read this section of the Forum. My WFA is expired and I haven't done the water-based one. I'm thinking about trying it, if people want to make a go of it in the future. Maybe we can use the main forum to see who is interested?

It seems to me this is kind of general - you'd get a larger audience.