Sea Kayaking UK (formally NDK) Kayak Demo Day

Sea Kayaker Magazine voted the Sea Kayaking UK's (formally NDK) Romany Explorer Best Extended Touring Kayak and the Romany Best Day/Weekend Kayak and Best Rough-Water Kayak in its third of its triennial Readers Choice awards (December 2011). These kayaks are at home on flat or rough water and meet every challenge as your skills increase. Rock Paddle Surf Kayak Coaching has arranged for Tom Berg of Maine Island Kayak, the largest retailer of Sea Kayaking UK kayaks in the North East and New England, to come to Salem for a chance for folks to try these incredible kayaks. Don't miss this opportunity to try them out and chat with Tom, whom it's safe to say knows more about these kayaks than anyone else around.

Date: Saturday August 18th

Location: Waikiki Beach, Winter Island Park (attendees will not be charged for parking for this event.)

Times: 11 am to 2pm

Kevin,

As you know, I purchased a 2011 Romany and a 2012 Explorer both from Tom and I have been very pleased with both boats as well as the purchasing process. Last year was my first year kayaking and the Romany was a perfect choice for me and continues to be a great boat as my skills have improved. This being year two in my journey, I chose to focus on kayak expeditions and now find the Explorer is perfect for those trips. I have completed six kayak camping trips this season and the Explorer has served me well. I do not believe I would have felt as confident exploring the outside of the outer islands if I were in another boat.

I might also mention that each of my boats were ordered with the 50/50 layup (full fiberglass hull with a carbon/kevlar deck, bulkheads and seat) which lightens the boat significantly while allowing me to run it up on the rocky coast of Maine without fear of hull damage.

One final comment concerns the fitting of the paddler to the cockpit performed by Tom. Tom performed a lengthy fitting process for me on each boat, which has resulted in a most enjoyable journey in both comfort and function.

Feel free to PM me if questions arise.

Warren

Kevin,

I am glad to hear you enjoy your Explorer as well. When I am in my fully loaded Explorer heading to an island to camp it is a dream come true. Without the help of good people like Tom, I might have been forced to explore my world from the inside of a tour bus. What a horrible thought!

Living the Dream!

Warren

(Argh, eventually I'll be able to make all these adjustments to the post all at once!) Just a heads up for those who might be helping out at the Swim Fin. I just spoke to Tom and he is fine with staying after the 2pm end time. So if you can't swing by until mid afternoon, please come on by. If you want to call ahead and confirm we are still there, my number is 978.270.8170.