End of the World Paddle

Lbeale

Bravo to Jeff C. for calling this trip !!!! The old crew went out from Lane's Cove to almost Rockport Harbor. Rick C., John L., David L., Leong, Jeff C., Sir Christopher, and myself played in rocks, rode the swells, told stories of paddling together in the old days. There was much merriment and laughter shared by all.

Thank you again boys for an enjoyable end-of-the-world paddle. Most excellent way to start the new season of paddling.

Les

Jeff was getting a good dose of u/v radiation towards the end of the afternoon, I noticed, and, when I got home, I noticed that so did I! That was totally unexpected. I have a round (eskimo-looking?) red ring where my tuiliq snugged up tight! Very weird-seeming.

Where were Kevin and Gillian, I wonder? And I had hoped that Liz Neumeier would also join us, since we were in her proverbial back yard? Seeing John again after two or three years was a revelation! And a laugh-a-minute!

We had some lovely big swells off Halibut whatsits and we all enjoyed ourselves, even if one of us got rather wetter than intended! ;^)

Thanks, all!

Pintail, what is that green boat your paddling? I ask because it appears (I could be wrong) to be a plastic boat (Nordcap?) with an ocean cockpit which is a combination I'd given up on finding. If a Nordcap RM/LV with an ocean cockpit were available, I'd be quite tempted.

Thanks!

Ty

...plastic Skerry RM -- the later RMX model had a regular keyhole cockpit; but neither is any longer available. I really have no idea how old mine is: I have not bothered looking at the hull number.

Elsewhere I see that Doug was trying a Vaag over the weekend and I would say he is wrong in assessing that boat to have as much rocker as a Pintail: not so, Doug. This old Skerry, though, does! It is great fun.

...plastic Skerry RM -- the later RMX model had a regular keyhole cockpit; but neither is any longer available. I really have no idea how old mine is: I have not bothered looking at the hull number.

Elsewhere I see that Doug was trying a Vaag over the weekend and I would say he is wrong in assessing that boat to have as much rocker as a Pintail: not so, Doug. This old Skerry, though, does! It is great fun.

That comment must have been in your vault for quite some time my friend.

I demoed the Vaag and commented on it over a year ago, not this past weekend. The "end of the world" must have warped your space in time. I probably have 75 pounds or more over you so I was responding to how the boats compared to me. The lighter you are, the less boat you have in the water and the rocker is more pronounced for you I am sure. This is why it is difficult to compare boats. This is also why paddlers should demo boats for themselves as they react differently for different people.

Looking back, I would rather have a Pintail over a Vaag and a Romany over a Pintail. That's my take on it....... Since you brought it up that is.

I think the Skerray is on old Valley design based on the Nordkapp: kind of a Nordkapp with way more rocker. That Skerray RM: is it the only plastic boat with an ocean cockpit?: Splendid!

Doug, I have <no idea> where I dragged that up from -- (LOL!) -- but see it today, I did.

I do understand your comments on weight effect on apparent rocker. Give me the P*nta*l over Romany any day, though!

PeterB, the Skerray actually has a <slightly> larger ocean aperture than P*nta*l, so perhaps we should call it an ocean-style cockpit?

(PS: Doug -- got it: I believe I saw it among your FB pictures?)

Dr. Lewis,

I get this message from facebook "This content is currently unavailable". Is it because I'm not a member or is there something else wrong?

Leon

Dr. Lewis,

I get this message from facebook "This content is currently unavailable". Is it because I'm not a member or is there something else wrong?

Leon

You have not achieved a sufficient level of assimilation to be cleared to see the photos. I am able to see them.

Resistance is futile. All your base are belong to us.

You have not achieved a sufficient level of assimilation to be cleared to see the photos. I am able to see them.

Dr. Lewis,

Leon

You need to be signed up for facebook, then sign in where you are prompted on the top right of the link.

Doug

You need to be signed up for facebook, then sign in where you are prompted on the top right of the link.

Doug

Some folks might not want to be signed up for Facebook. Like me, not ever having drunk coffee or smoked cigarettes, do not want to become addicted at this point in life.

Some folks might not want to be signed up for Facebook. Like me, not ever having drunk coffee or smoked cigarettes, do not want to become addicted at this point in life.

Exactly my sentiments. In fact, if I could, I’d still be using CP/M and Wordstar on this 8080, 8-bit processor that I found in the garbage (I switched to DOS … Unix didn’t fit). What’s this “windows” or "Mac" thing I keep hearing about?

• 1 month later...

Jeff was getting a good dose of u/v radiation towards the end of the afternoon, I noticed, and, when I got home, I noticed that so did I! That was totally unexpected. I have a round (eskimo-looking?) red ring where my tuiliq snugged up tight! Very weird-seeming.

Where were Kevin and Gillian, I wonder? And I had hoped that Liz Neumeier would also join us, since we were in her proverbial back yard? Seeing John again after two or three years was a revelation! And a laugh-a-minute!

We had some lovely big swells off Halibut whatsits and we all enjoyed ourselves, even if one of us got rather wetter than intended! ;^)

Thanks, all!

Hey there Pintail

Contact me at

ddempesy@aol.com

Thanks!

Deb