Boston Lighthouse, Sunday, July 30

Jeff Barrell

Weather this weekend looks like fine paddling in Boston Harbor. I'm thinking a Sunday morning launch (~9:30) and paddle out to Little Brewster for lunch and lighthouse tour (~7.5 miles), then back (~16 miles round trip). I estimate our return around 4:00pm. May include stops at Lovells, Rainsford, or Spectacle for bio-breaks and such. The harbor can be an exciting place to paddle on a summer weekend, kinda exciting like crossing Rt.128 on a bicycle. There are 3 channel crossings that will likely be busy on the return, which we will do together (coming and going). You will need to be capable of paddling 16 miles at a moderate pace with appropriate breaks and such. There will be places with boat chop (smallish waves from multiple directions) to paddle through, which may include channel crossings. Do I have to say you need rescue skills as well? Aside from a few bad spots, most of this paddle is pleasant, scenic, and a visit to Boston lighthouse as it celebrates its 299th year. 

So, what you think or offer an alternative. Let me know if you're going and I will PM the launch location.

I was NOT planning to cross main channel (Deer Isle to Lovell) on a summer weekend afternoon (no death wish). My proposed route is all south of the main channel. There will be boat traffic, but mostly confined to few narrow crossings. An alternative launch can reach Brewsters in 6 miles, rather than 8 miles (one way).