Shake Out Paddle - Patriots Day - 4/16

alcoons

Patriots Day, Monday 4/16 is suppose to be very warm (80's) and sunny. While the ocean is still too cold for me, I expect to do my annual shake-out paddle (one of many ). Get the gear and body reorganized.

Maybe out and back on the Mystic River from the new dam and put-in on the Mystic Lakes? Or we could do the Charles from above Harvard Stadium down towards the Science Museum. Maybe two hours of relaxing joy. Other locations are fine -- be glad to travel. Easy pace and plenty of stops as necessary.

Level is L2 but this is NOT a training trip for those who are new to kayaking. Given the speed difference between rec and ocean kayaks, you should have a sea kayak or be able to maintain a sea kayak pace.

Anyone interested? If there is some takers I will formalize the details. Just need one other to do this trip.

Al

Cetus

Red over white and often over

Patriots Day, Monday 4/16 is suppose to be very warm (80's) and sunny. While the ocean is still too cold for me, I expect to do my annual shake-out paddle (one of many ). Get the gear and body reorganized.

Maybe out and back on the Mystic River from the new dam and put-in on the Mystic Lakes? Or we could do the Charles from above Harvard Stadium down towards the Science Museum. Maybe two hours of relaxing joy. Other locations are fine -- be glad to travel. Easy pace and plenty of stops as necessary.

Level is L2 but this is NOT a training trip for those who are new to kayaking. Given the speed difference between rec and ocean kayaks, you should have a sea kayak or be able to maintain a sea kayak pace.

Anyone interested? If there is some takers I will formalize the details. Just need one other to do this trip.

Al

Cetus

Red over white and often over

I'd be up for it. I've never paddled the Mystic or Mystic Lakes, so would be interested in that. I would steer clear of anything in and around Boston, just because of the marathon troubles and associated traffic.

Cathy

HI Cathy. Mystic sounds good. Let's see if there is any more interest. Given the possible heat I guess 10 AM to noon-1 PM or something like that, but I am flexible. What works for you in terms of time?

Al

I'm open the whole day so that time works for me. Hopefully we'll get some other people. I'll need info on put-in spot.

Come on Folks - Join us on Patriot's Day for an Easy Paddle!!

I'm open the whole day so that time works for me. Hopefully we'll get some other people. I'll need info on put-in spot.

Come on Folks - Join us on Patriot's Day for an Easy Paddle!!

Will post full information (time, put-int, etc) once we see if there are any more takers.

Al

Hi Al,

I live just down the road from the lakes and am a strong maybe for monday. One option would be to put in on the lower lake which would give us the option of extending the paddle down the river.

The launch is here.

Barry.

Hi Barry,

Yes that is the put-in I had planned to use. We both live close by. Just so others know, they have finished replacing the dam and redoing the parking lot. All the trees along the water are gone but all is new and clean (not sure I like the trade off). The boat ramp to the Upper Lake remains the same. There is a relatively steep but short, good path down to the Lower Lake.

Launch at 10 AM good for you Barry if you are coming?

Hi Barry,

Yes that is the put-in I had planned to use. We both live close by. Just so others know, they have finished replacing the dam and redoing the parking lot. All the trees along the water are gone but all is new and clean (not sure I like the trade off). The boat ramp to the Upper Lake remains the same. There is a relatively steep but short, good path down to the Lower Lake.

Launch at 10 AM good for you Barry if you are coming?

Hi Al,

There is one meeting in the morning that I need to participate in. Could you make it 10:30 ? If so, I'll see you there.

Barry.

Date: Monday 4/16

Place: Dam between Upper and Lower Mystic Lakes

Map

Time: Launch as soon after 10:30 AM as possible.

Route: Down and back on the Mystic River from the new dam and put-in on the Mystic Lakes. Maybe two hours of relaxing joy.

Level: L2 but this is NOT a training trip for those who are new to kayaking. Given the speed difference between rec and ocean kayaks, you should have a sea kayak or be able to maintain a sea kayak pace.