Wed. Lunch Paddle 7/21/21 @ Fishermans Beach

Joseph Berkovitz

This was a cool paddle as it turned out to be me and Bob plus 3 NEW NSPN MEMBERS: Jody Harris, Ricardo Caivano and Barb Ryan! So exciting to go out with new people — we love the good old people but it's great to see new faces in the club and on the ocean.

It was also great because the expected bad weather did not close the curtains on our day. Far from it — instead, it never arrived.  We had a lovely excursion out to Dread Ledge and then turned north along the rocky Swampscott coast to Devereux Beach, the little pocket of it that lies on the Neck side of the Marblehead causeway, which was our lunch spot.  There was a light westerly wind at the outset which built a little bit to 5-8 kt during the day, but most of the time the cliffs protected us from even that.

On the way back we did some assisted rescue practice with Bob and myself as swimmers. I can report that the water was not at all cold. Eventually everyone was back in a boat and we headed back to Fishermans Beach.

Fishermans Beach is a lovely launch spot, by the way. There were perhaps a half-dozen parking spots or so when we arrived at 9 am, which is pretty amazing for a free parking lot right next to a beach in Massachusetts.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so enjoying paddling with this warm and welcoming group! Love your trip reports Joe! They remind me of the details of our adventure  and the fun! This trip was the first time I cautiously ventured a bit closer to the cliffs, after observing you and Bob having so much fun, and then experiencing the cool “moving  sidewalk” feeling while gliding along. Thanks so much for your planning and mentoring.