12/23/19 Ogunquit

Jim Snyder

You couldn't ask for better conditions in late December. Cloudless sky, temps around 50, water at 46, light offshore breeze. Present: Me, Bob Levine, Kevin Beckwith, all in NDK Explorers.

We launched into the river just after high tide and drifted out to head south along the coast. There was medium sized surf in the mouth of the river and just outside but we passed it up to look for rocks. This section of coast is spectacular and even with half a foot of predicted swell, there was plenty of action around the rocks. Sadly, pictures were only taken in the tamer sections.

IMG_0948.thumb.JPG.3c79ae4ac0c81c6df960c64d2c8c4a6f.JPG

IMG_0941.thumb.JPG.f41d70e62268ae5cd8e7f7409f51d246.JPG

As we rounded Bald Head the winds picked up and the chop was developing. We decided to retrace our steps and check out the rocks with the lower water level. We tried to get Bob to do some cliff diving of the 30 foot face at Bald Head Cliff but he didn't want to risk it in his new drysuit.

satellite.thumb.jpg.293e398d89b755ccc94c72b8af6af781.jpg

Lunch on a pebbly pocket beach on the way back.

IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.d9c2d8b324659983e5def0d2cc8bcda4.JPG

We did a little surfing at the mouth of the river on the way back in. Good rides were possible if you were patient. Then fighting close to a 3 kt current to get back to the put in point. This could have been timed better but we would have been riding a tide in at near dark. Thanks to Bob and Kevin for an enjoyable day.

Looking back over my reports for the year I feel fortunate to count 34 voyages on the ocean in 2019. Not ruling out one more but thanks to all of you who helped make that possible!

track-122319-103008am.kml