Misery Island Sept 15, maps and stats

Ken

Thanks for posting the info, Ken.  That max speed is interesting, since 7.395mph is equivalent to about 6.5 knots, which I doubt any of us got up to that day.  Is it possible you ran down the beach with the device in your pocket or something like that?

I leave my phone in my pfd which I leave in my boat specically so that a lunchtime walk doesnt mess up that stats.  I chalk that up to GPS inaccuracy.  I've seen silly stuff like an 800' total vertical gain after a day at sea level.  Or maybe that is up and down 800 one foot waves ?

I use a similar tracker and find I can get up over 6 mph regularly on a flatwater sprint. If you paddled pretty hard for even a short while down current and or down wind, 7 mph is not unrealistic. That being said I've forgotten to stop the thing only to discover later I covered many miles in excess of 65 mph. Imagine the wake...

1 hour ago, Jim Snyder said:

I use a similar tracker and find I can get up over 6 mph regularly on a flatwater sprint. If you paddled pretty hard for even a short while down current and or down wind, 7 mph is not unrealistic. That being said I've forgotten to stop the thing only to discover later I covered many miles in excess of 65 mph. Imagine the wake...

I use a different app, Ski Tracks, for skiing as it does a great job with number of runs and veritical distance.  I was surprised when it said I hit 95mph, if I'm ripping on a cruising run I might hit 45 or so, but then realized I forgot to turn it off when I drove home on I93.

We did have a tailwind in the AM, I suspect that might have upped the speed a bit.  I'm to know to this sport to know how fast I really go.  

Here's a graph for time vs. speed. It does look like there is one anomolous spike.  All the other peaks are between 4.5 and 5.25 MPH.

Screenshot_20190921-082451_ztrack.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Rather sad note, a B-17 crashed a Bradley Airport in CT today and I believe it was the Collings Foundation Wings of Freedom tour so it was likely the same plane we saw flying over Beverly a few weeks ago.