Isle of Shoals trip 9/21/19

Paul Sylvester

Starting a new thread to avoid confusion because the original post was trying for a weekday.  Trip is set for Saturday 9/21/19 w/ BIB at Rye Harbor, NH at 8:30 am off water around 3-4 pm. About 7NM of open ocean so a level 4 trip. If we have not communicated I will vet and want to know you are ready.

More details on the calendar posting. A nice trip on the right day and is a long  crossing but once there very scenic. 

Paul, much as I should like to accompany you, surgery is set for 16th, so I think it's a no-go for me...shame!  Anyway, I'm supposed to work on Saturdays (Bah, humbug!)

We could always meet for a pint, though...?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping that a handful of people will suddenly jump on this trip. I'd love to go. But as the new guy in the group, I would prefer to tag along with a few others. If a group does form, I'd like to be in it. Question: do you wear a drysuit for this trip? Would a light/semi drytop and wetsuit pants be good enough?

Unfortunately, I am away for the weekend and can’t go.  But as far as clothing, keep in mind three things in order of priority:

1) How cold is the water if you were to be in it for several hours?  A local kayaker was just recently rescued after adrift for 4 hours.

2) Do you know the people on the trip and how much can you trust them to get you out of the water if things go sideways?  Still, refer back to #1.

3) What is the weather forecast?  Check as close to your decision point as possible?  In other words, can you decide what to wear at the launch, or get a forecast that morning before you leave?  Then refer back to #1 and #2 and determine if the forecast helps or hinders either. 

This weekend may be a difficult one to decide. My best advise is that it is always easier to cool down (by taking an intentional dip) than it is to warm up (during an unintentional dip). 

All,

Ditto what Rob said above. Given that no one has signed up I do not see anything happening this Saturday for this trip. We are going to have some long period swells which will wrap around the islands and could make it choppy as we approach the Shoals.  Wind forecast is lite and variable right now and sun all day. 

I am due for a good surfing day and am leaning towards a plastic boat surf and rock play day somewhere near the NH seacoast. Standees will be all over the beaches so I will look for the offshore breaks and ones with no boarders. PM FMI , subject to change..

On 9/17/2019 at 2:11 PM, rfolster said:

2) Do you know the people on the trip and how much can you trust them to get you out of the water if things go sideways?  Still, refer back to #1.

How about do you have a reliable roll and/or another self-rescue ability?

7 hours ago, leong said:

How about do you have a reliable roll and/or another self-rescue ability?

I refer back to #1. I don’t think having a roll makes anyone invincible to taking an occasional swim. 

On 9/22/2019 at 6:54 PM, rfolster said:

I refer back to #1. I don’t think having a roll makes anyone invincible to taking an occasional swim. 

When the sh hits and you miss your "reliable roll" it is demoralizing and can be a bit scary. Having a drysuit on, (being comfortable for some period of time in the water) and all the safety gadgets will be huge while you figure it out.  

From the archives experience....

On 9/22/2019 at 6:54 PM, rfolster said:

I included and/or another self rescue technique. My roll recently failed but I had a backup. I shouldn't have said or. But I agree qualified friends are better.