Lake George autumn foliage paddling, camping and hiking October 18-20

PeterB

This will be a repeat of two successful autumn trips to Lake George in 2016 and 2017. The goal will be to paddle and explore the islands in the  middle of the lake  amidst peak autumn foliage, camp at one of the many island campsites (uninhabited at this time of year), and  hike to some peaks and ledges overlooking the lake, in the area of the Lake George Narrows, the  Mother Bunch Islands , or on the shores of Tongue Mountain. Lake George is 32 miles long and @ 2 mies wide, and the middle third of the lake is  mostly uninhabited  and within Adirondack Park. 

Launch midday Friday October 18: return to the put-in midday Sunday  October 20.  

The put-in will be from a small village and marina on the remote Eastern side of the Lake. From here there is great access to the lake’s best spots to explore: The Mother Bunch and Narrows Island groups,  Paradise and Red Rock Bay , and hiking trail heads to  Tongue Mountain and Shelving Rock. This put-in is a three hour drive from Concord NH area.  

Camping options are innumerable, as the islands have many campsites , uninhabited after Columbus Day so  we'll have the choice of dozens of islands to ourselves. The campsites are well developed with picnic tables, firepits, and privy’s. 

This will be about an L3 paddling trip: Mileage per day is flexible, probably 12 miles or fewer.   

Paddling will be moderate, ambling and relaxed, focused on exploration and stops to explore and walk on foot

We will likely tour the Narrows Islands and stop to hike to an overlook, either on Tongue Mountain or Shelving Rock.  

The main requirement for this trip is  to be equipped for autumn camping:  being able to stay warm and dry in cold wet weather. (suitable tent, sleeping bag, shelter, and cold/wet weather clothing and outerwear, dry set of clothes while not paddling)  Weather might just be Indian summer, but also might be wet, raw and cold. Drysuits  are highly recommended , as staying warm and dry while off the water  will be  required. We can get off the water at any time quickly,  no tides or currents, but wind waves can be significant, especially at the middle of the day. Water temperatures will be in the 50's, air temps anywhere from  mid-40's to 60's or even  higher.  

If you are interested , please RSVP  (I’m going) in the October 18  calendar listing  for this event.   Contact  PeterB  by PM on the message board if you have questions.  
We  will plan trip  details  by group PM .

384539958_Trippost10.thumb.jpg.c213bc5c9d5ece983ed24aeec7b7e9bc.jpg651928523_SaturdayWestShore.thumb.jpg.a6c4f744ffaf8083857779eb25accffb.jpg326895767_Durancampsite.thumb.jpg.e50b5075fc614c5bdf885ce3d28e3dde.jpg57eab332f2621_Lake-George-Narrowsfall.thumb.jpg.7bf915f19be7e8751b528edb1bec72de.jpg.e6bddfd0a48035f5bb41a988d8a4d8db.jpg1498537233_YongonDuran.thumb.JPG.132d8ce9b2ce920f41cae7755d5b6ab9.JPG1111720923_LakeGeorge.thumb.jpg.faaa49811cb4d45917681d16801bfd66.jpg

Edited by PeterB

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm interested but might need some more info. 

Unfortunately, my 59yo knees, despite being able to ski bumps all day, don't really like hiking up and down hills so much any more.  A few miles at a mellow pace with maybe a total 600-800' vert gain is all I'd be up for.  Would the hikes exceed that?

I think I have most of the requisite gear--- dry-suit, 3-season tent, sleeping bag, misc. camping stuff.  I probably just need another dry bag or two to pack my stuff.

-K