6/5/2019: Wed. Lunch Paddle #6

Joseph Berkovitz

Wednesday Lunch Paddle #6
Conditions: Sunny, air 60 F, water 55 F, winds S 8 kt -> SSW 4 kt, seas ~ 1 ft
People: Joe Berkovitz, Bob Levine, Al Coons, Sue Hriciga, Jim Snyder, Jeff Charrette, Pat Donohue
Track: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/Mj7b8o96pm47QzpvDfKRywCQ/?layer=gaianoaarnc
Distance: 7 nm

chart.thumb.jpg.3fbf7a68e9c49e4abfac197c747790f2.jpg10.25: Launch from Riverhead Beach with a light tailwind in beautiful conditions. We headed NE across the harbor towards the lighthouse where we regrouped to determine the next move.

10.50: Conditions outside the harbor felt comfortable to the group, so we elected to continue around Marblehead Neck along the rocks on the outside, then potentially head to Tinkers Island for lunch.  There was enough long-period swell to collect in some of the more active rock gardens on the outside and make things interesting. Some of the group played in the rocks while others enjoyed the ocean nearby. Many ducks with babies in tow, which we tried our best to avoid. They didn't seem to fly away fortunately.

11.30: Some play opportunities at the "Devil's Knuckles", a cavelike hollow in the cliffs with curved knuckle-like ribs on either side. Always fun for bouncing around in reflections. Bob and Pat had the most luck in catching some actual energy.  Here's a great photo of Pat rebounding from the cave (taken by Jim S):

IMG_0349.thumb.JPG.c108313043179a9e6da0c95bebb3c9dc.JPG

12.00: arrived at beach on Tinkers for a lunch in the sun (Lunch is the crux move of every Wednesday Lunch Paddle!)

12.45: head south around Tinkers to play on the outside of the island. Near high tide, so some channels too flooded to really make for a fun run in the small swells. The ledges at the NE of the island provided the most entertainment for the group.

13.30: Back on the Neck, some of us ran this high-water-only slot that gets a lot of energy and sometimes presents a veritable washing machine (proposed name: "Devil's Coin-Op"). It provided the only capsize of the day: mine. On my second passage through it I caught too much wave and was thrown up on the sloping rock face where I lost balance. Capsizing back down into the water, there were rocks all around me and I couldn't roll, so I came out of my boat. This slot is very localized and there is relatively calm water all around it -- Bob swept in for a quick rescue and I was back in my boat in seconds. I did scrape up my thumb pretty nastily though. Pat had some good advice: how about wearing gloves for rock gardening? This is pretty common the Bay Area, I gather.

14.00: Return to MHD Light, then a quick crossing of the harbor to the fort to return down the NW side. We stopped at a large racing yacht called American Promise, moored at the harbormaster's office. This is a storied boat, used by the first American to circumnavigate the globe without stopping -- you can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Promise_(yacht)  Today the yacht is used by the Rozalia Project (https://rozaliaproject.org/) a clean-ocean advocacy organization that is working to stop ocean pollution. We spoke with one of the founders for a while and then moved on to return to Riverhead.

15.00: Land at Riverhead. Another WLP comes to a satisfying end!