Thacher Island Saturday 9-29-18

Joseph Berkovitz

Yes, this looks suspiciously like the trip I posted last weekend, but that trip was relocated to the Beverly/Manchester coast due to ripping winds out of the N. However, this coming weekend's forecast is looking much nicer for the moment with 6 kt WNW wind and nice long-period swells in the 3' range. Temps are predicted to be around 70 with sunny skies. Hopefully this forecast will hold up.

Once again, let's start from Rockport Granite Pier and paddle southeast to Thacher I. via Straitsmouth I where we can stop for lunch. However... let's also consider adding on going a bit further to Long Beach around the corner to surf the long swells, if they arrive as predicted. (I wish I could join Sunday's NH trip posted by Jonathan, since the surfing that day looks even better.)

Total round-trip including the beach will be around 12-14 nm.  This is going to be an L3 paddle so please be sure that you are comfortable with the trip length and the open ocean conditions. A helmet is strongly recommended; even if you are not playing in rocks the landing at the Thacher ramp can be bumpy.

I believe there is a launch fee of $5 at the pier, and also a landing fee of $5 at Thacher, so bring a wheelbarrow full o' cash!

Please respond if you're interested and I'll start a PM thread eventually.

...Joe