Broken Group Islands, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

alcoons

If you Google "Broken Group Islands", the first few entries include:

• kayaker's paradise
  • There are more than 100 islands
  • simply stunning
  • a kayaker's dream destination.
  • Enjoy sea kayak touring, the beauty and the mystery of the 'wild coast' within the protection of a scattered collection of rugged islands.

Sunshine Coast - Before the Broken Group

Two weeks ago, on our way to the Broken Group, my spouse and I just spent 9 days camping, day-hiking, eating salmon, and doing a bit of paddling up the Sunshine Coast. This is the mainland coast just north of and a short ferry away from Vancouver. This area is spectacular no matter how you do it. There are endless beautiful paddling opportunities along the way.  However, the Northern end, around Desolation Sound is A+++++.  Rental kayaks and guiding services abound.

desolation2_100-472x600.jpg

Ucluelet, Tofino, Broken Group

We then crossed over to Vancouver Island (V.I.) at Powell River/Comax and did the wonderful 3 hour drive to Ucluelet, the small fishing town at the southern end of the Pacific Rim National Park on the west coast of V.I. The towns of Tofino and Ucluelet are not the hidden gems they were when we visited 25 years ago. In fact, another paddler drove to Tofino the day before we put-in, gave up trying to find a parking place, and returned to Ucluelet without stopping (ugh)!

broken-group-aerial-0175.jpg

We joined a group of 9 paddlers and 2 guides for 4 days of paddling in singles and doubles in this native controlled area which is listed on some top 10 world lists for kayaking. You were expected to be comfortable in a kayak, but most paddlers, while having done a great deal of paddling, where not use to the occasional NSPN 2+/3- conditions. Mornings were dead calm. The wind increased each afternoon, but we were protected by the islands most of the time. We paddled slowly, close to 6 hours a day, exploring the marine plants, rocky shores, and watching whales, seals, and so many eagles that they became boring. Wonderful campsites are available on 7 islands. The sand beaches are great as is the respectful approach everyone we met took to this special place.

The trip we took with Majestic Ocean Kayaking https://www.oceankayaking.com/our-trips/multi-day-trips (they deserve their impressive rating) was exceptionally well organize and lead, but very mellow. Their equipment is top rate as were their knowledgable guides.

One reason I share this posting is my wife, while a national class athlete, does not paddle much. So this is a wonderful kayak camping trip which is accessible to all. In fact, Majestic even rents an island not too far from one put-in (and just outside the formal park) so families with younger children and/or no experience can do a two night paddle. It also could be a much more serious trip depending on where you launch and your goals.

This area has been on my list for 25 years and our trip will be remembered for just as many!