First full-moon paddle of the season...

Pintail

Full-moon this month (June) occurs Sunday 23rd, with moonrise coming at 1932 (half-past seven, pm).

The moon will appear full at 0433 next morning; but I hardly think we'd stay around for <that>?

The water temperature is trying hard to climb; but rain keeps interrupting its upwards prgoress, so water is still <chilly> (but quite bearable for short immersion).

Anyone interested in paddling that Sunday night? It would of course mean missing Masterpiece Theatre; but one can always catch up next day (or whenever). The moon will only be 247 179 miles from planet earth, so we should have a good view of it! ;^)

Respond here, please...let's see what level of interest there is -- we shall likely enough do this every month of the summer. Personally, I love Lanes Cove and that is why I may seem to favour it -- lots of sandy beaches within easy access, too.

The evening will be CAM; but there are likely to be some reasonably competent paddlers there for everyone's reassurance. Neither shall we stay out very late -- work next morning for most (right?)

Edited by Pintail

• 2 weeks later...

Would there be more interest in this if we went out on Saturday night, instead of Sunday, I wonder (aloud)? It seems as though the f/c for Sunday pm is for possible Tz (thunderstorms) and Saturday is less likely -- perhaps that is the reason for lack of interest?

Please respond here...(and thoughts from you two, Katherine and Barry?)

Would there be more interest in this if we went out on Saturday night, instead of Sunday, I wonder (aloud)? It seems as though the f/c for Sunday pm is for possible Tz (thunderstorms) and Saturday is less likely -- perhaps that is the reason for lack of interest?

Please respond here...(and thoughts from you two, Katherine and Barry?)

I can do either Saturday or Sunday.

Barry.

Saturday is the solstice paddle, so there may be some conflicts there. I personally would prefer Saturday night instead of Sunday, but might whimp out after the Solstice paddle like I did last year. If you do go out on Saturday, put me down as a tentative maybe.

Thanks, all: I quite forgot about this Solstice business -- I cannot usually participate because of work. Should we bag it this month? I think there is a definite possibility of thunderstorms...

I'd like to go on Saturday after the Solstice paddle, if anyone else does (and, of course, if Christopher does). The T-storms are forecast for 2:00 PM, which makes them more of an issue for the Solstice paddle than the moonlight paddle - the overall possibility for Saturday afternoon is 57%. The overall probability for Gloucester evening is given at 11%, and 6% for overnight. (Dunno what hours are denoted by "evening" and "overnight".)

-Lisa

I could go either night. What time?

I kind of like the Gloucester Harbor to Kettle Island route, or any other that allows us to see the moon rise over the water. (I recognize that Braces' Cove makes for a challenging rest stop.)

Liz

Hmm, since Liz already suggested a put-in change, here’s yet another idea. Why not launch from Riverhead in Marblehead. That way many of the solstice party-goers might want to join the moonlight paddle, saving the long drive to Lanes or whatever.

Moon location: time/altitude (approx. degrees)/azimuth (approx. degrees) data are:
2100/12/132
2200/19/145
2300/24//158
Midnight/26/170

There should be a good view of the moon from outside of Marblehead Harbor.

Lots of possible rest stops such as Children’s Island

-Leon

Yes, you need to argue that there's a perceptable difference, especially when viewed from a bouncing kayak. The link says:

“While the exact time of the full moon theoretically lasts just a moment, that moment is imperceptible to casual observers. The moon will appear full a couple of days before and after the actual full moon most will speak of seeing the nearly full moon as "full": the shaded strip is so narrow, and changing in apparent width so slowly, that it is hard for the naked eye to tell in a casual glance whether it’s present or on which side it is.”

Edited by leong

The way I read Sunday weather (NOAA) is that there's more likely to be precipitation Sat nite than Sun nite and that Sun t-storms are not a nighttime concern. I would go either night, though reserving the right to pass should weather go foul. I would suggest we go with Christopher's original plan for this trip as he has put in the effort, though would also go from Gloucester Harbor, adding that there would be less hassle at the put-in parking-wise and most-everythig-wise at Lane's Cove.

Christopher,

At the end of the solstice party there will be a lot of potential paddlers for a moonlight paddle. Perhaps even more than have read your thread. And their kayaks would be there too. The view of the moon from the cliff at Dolliber Cove can't be beat.

-Leon

Yes, you need to argue that there's a perceptable difference, especially when viewed from a bouncing kayak. The link says:

“While the exact time of the full moon theoretically lasts just a moment, that moment is imperceptible to casual observers. The moon will appear full a couple of days before and after the actual full moon most will speak of seeing the nearly full moon as "full": the shaded strip is so narrow, and changing in apparent width so slowly, that it is hard for the naked eye to tell in a casual glance whether it’s present or on which side it is.”

If I may presume, I believe MForti's point was exactly that -- the "full moon" effectively extends for for "a couple of days" so his personal preference for Sunday was not in conflict with the concept of "full moon paddle" even though it did not occur at "the exact time of the full moon". So he had made all the argument needed. At least that's how I understood it. Shall we bet on it?

Edited by djlewis

OK, gang: I hate to disappoint those who favour Sunday; but Leon's point about potential paddlers is well-made: let's go out tonight (Saturday) from Riverhead.

I work until 1800, so cannot guarantee to be in Marblehead until almost 1900 -- shall we say "as close to 1900 as is practicable"? Just don't go without me -- you mob will all be ready and raring to go. Katherine: what's all this about dropping out -- no! Try to join us...

Don't any participant drink (much) alcohol at the bash! (Wonders aloud: are the speedsters really going to join us? LG and LH?)

Still at work -- cancelling due small level of interest -- I just received a call from Marblehead, telling of most people being pooped after the Solstice bash. Sorry, folks -- we shall do this next month, for sure...