Recommendations, please...

Pintail

Does anyone here have experience with covering or protecting their upper deck (or sections of) with transparent (self-adhesive) film? Suzanne did this years ago on her Explorer; but has anyone else done it recently? If so, where do I start to look for a suitable plastic or vinyl covering?

Any suggestions, please?

Hi Christropher,

I have added ClearMask Aeroguard film on my last 3 kayaks in strategic areas of my boat. It isn't cheap but its strong and virtually invisible. I usually purchase one roll per boat of 6 inch wide by 10 feet long Aeorguard. Costs $38.50 plus $10 shipping. I always wish I had a roll and a half. Next boat will.

http://www.clearmask.com/aerogard.php

I assume prices are the same but its been a year and a half since I purchased it.

Hi Christropher,

I purchased, in '06, a new Avocet & covered it in 3M film (6 mil I think). My assesment of this stuff is that it is almost bullet proof. I don't remember where I purchased it but I remember finding it online, the company primarily sold protective products for cars.

I did my whole deck.

Thanks,

Chuck

I have bought another boat, yes; but it isn't new. It is, however, in beautiful condition and was sold to me by a friend whose health is not what it was and he hardly paddles now -- shame! (Another Valley boat! It's name begins with A -- and then another A...) ;^)

PS: I see that there is no mention of the KTP Paddlesports Show at UNH next weekend on our calender? I'm sure there will be NSPNers who will attend? I know of someone who will be <working> there, mind!

Edited by Pintail

I see that there is no mention of the KTP Paddlesports Show at UNH next weekend on our calender?

The KTP Show is not an NSPN event, so it is not on the calendar (I believe that is the general rule). However, Cathy has been trying to get volunteers to help at the MITA booth during the show. Anyone interested can see her posting on the General Message board.

Nystrom-san! Correct-O (and I can hardly wait to get out on the briny -- just about to start making a new foam seat to lower the C-of-G slightly: it is definitely a tighter squeeze than the other banana, isn't it? I seem to remember there is about an inch in it...) You're spot-on on the ripeness: I think the Pintail <has> had a much harder life -- therefore...more ripe!

Katherine: we shall paddle together sooooon! ;^)

Edited by Pintail

Sir Christopher:

Kudos on the AA.

I have no doubt you will enjoy the AA tremendously if not become addicted to it. Just an amazing boat so long as you do not want to go fast.

IMHO, once you paddle an AA it becomes the gold standard for what a kayak should be and do in many areas. Not without fault, but you can trust it completely and the whole experience with one is mesmerizing.

Ed Lawson

<Would you consider letting me take her out for a spin??>

Ha! I doubt it.

Seriously: of course, K. You just have to let me enjoy it a bit, first? And if you <do> love it, then you know where there <might> be another for sale (?) (These softies down on the other cape -- they're all going birding or bicycling nowadays!) Did you try my Pintail already? I forget...they're lovely to paddle, too (you will <never> find more <responsive> boats than these two, I believe)

Linda's boat was formerly mine, but the forward bulkhead is positioned closer to the seat than standard j(a factory option) and it was just a bit too close for my long legs. Since Linda doesn't suffer from an overabundance of leg length, I gave it to her and bought a stock boat for myself.

While my AA may not be getting a lot of use these days, it's definitely not for sale. Linda is keeping her Pintail and Rumour.