Sandy damaged Thatcher boat ramp

eneumeier

Many of us have been fortunate to use Thatcher Island for a pitstop during day paddles to stretch our legs or use the porta-potty. For the past three years, volunteers have organized a fund-raising event http://www.thacherislandpaddle.com/ in mid-summer. This year, fund-raising might be a little more important, and maybe we can make an effort to help out.

Sounds like a really great opportunity to post a paddle from Lanes Cove and rendezvous in Rockport for the event. We could rally our troops, raise money and even co-sponsor this event. I see Cathy, your wife and fellow board member was involved last year. How to others feel about this as a scheduled event this year? If there is enough support, we can address it at the trip planning board meeting coming up.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I think that's a great idea for NSPN to offer to co-sponsor this year's event. We could certainly help to spread the word and mobilize the paddling community. Thacher (note the correct spelling) is a wonderful destination that I for one would sorely miss. Not sure how I missed finding out about last year's event, but this year's is the important one.

Blaine

Thank you Blaine for the correct spelling. As Cathy pointed out, the event may be in question this year. I have sent a personal inquiry to the Thacher Island Association to see what assistance they might be seeking. If and when I receive a response, I will bring it to the attention of Board for discussion.