Photos/trip reports on the web service?

Paul Sylvester

Hi,

I need advice on the best user friendly, low or no cost photo service to use on the web. I want to post trip reports, post pictures with captions and such online. I had three journals of trips on webshots and they were bought out and it all was deleted.

I like ease of use and the ability to buy prints.

Photobucket? Snapfish? Ideas?

thanks,

Paul

Well, for photos, Picasa works pretty well for me. I'm not into buying prints online but they do offer the option (they link to other vendors).

Picasa actually has two components: an online photo sharing site like Snapfish, and some special software you can download to your computer.

The downloadable software scans for all the photos on your computer (you can limit the range if you wish), then gives you some nice easy-to-use tools to view, organize and edit. Once you have that software installed, uploading pix to the online sharing site is one button click. The software allows you to edit your photos without saving the edited version as another .jpg. It just saves the edits in a database and re-applies them to the old photo each time you view or upload or whatever. This saves space and helps get around the loss of quality you can suffer if you save a .jpg over and over. You can "undo" your edits a year later if you want to.

If you opt not to use the downloadable software you can still share your photos like any other photo sharing site.

Note that like other sharing sites, you need to be cognizant of the privacy status of your shared photos. If you upload them as "public", other people can search for them and see them. But it's easy to make them private.

There are space limitations and some other things that make it not perfect, but, as I say, it works pretty well for me.

Now as to trip reports, not sure what you mean. I post trip reports on a site called NSPN :-)...

-Lisa

Try Smugmug. Usually I don't add text below pics unless I post a pic that someone else took so I give them credit for it so the ability to do is there. Quality of picture display is unmatched and the ability to purchase or sell prints is available. Check out www.pixel8er.net for an example. Unfortunately this site is not cheep.

Should have said caption?

Captions available on Picasa (or most of them, I would think). If you download the Picasa software you can put the caption on the picture on your computer for posterity, and it will be carried along when you upload to the web.

Try Smugmug. Usually I don't add text below pics unless I post a pic that someone else took so I give them credit for it so the ability to do is there. Quality of picture display is unmatched and the ability to purchase or sell prints is available. Check out www.pixel8er.net for an example. Unfortunately this site is not cheep.

I like SmugMug too. I don't know much about their free service, since I gladly pay $40 or so/year for the "pro" version. Really clean interface and layout, and no software to download. But if you can take the download, Picasa does the trick too, and I think you get 1GB free.