Walden Pond Wednesday Nights

prudenceb

Although for some reason the Walden sessions aren't listed as recurring events, we continue to meet on Wednesday nights, weather permitting, starting at around 5 until they kick us out. (Closing time last week was 7:30 so we were off water a little after 7.) While there were only three of us last week, we had a good time working on stuff in the warm water. Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day, so hope that folks will join us!

pru

Thanks Prudence for the post. I was out of town last week in Great Wass and did not post in the calendar this week's session.

The session is on. Those who want to help with their rolls and would like to practice with a greenland paddle, let me know and I can bring an extra one.

Please remember to bring your nose plugs, pfd, paddle float and pump to practice rescues.

Next week is the last session for Wednesday night for me. I teach on Wednesday night and will not be able to make the sessions. I do however, go to Walden to practice rolls on other days of the week. If people are interested in joining me, I can post on this Board when I am going and please feel free to join me.

If someone else wants to pick up the banter and post for Wednesday night practice sessions until the middle of September, let me know.

Les

I'm happy to keep posting for Wednesday nights - unless there's another night that works for you, in which case ?we could all switch? In any event, I'll plan to keep showing up, as long as others express interest, until they are kicking us out five minutes after we arrive!

pru

I'm happy to keep posting for Wednesday nights - unless there's another night that works for you, in which case ?we could all switch? In any event, I'll plan to keep showing up, as long as others express interest, until they are kicking us out five minutes after we arrive!

pru

I'm not attending for a few weeks while I have physical therapy on my elbow. I apparently have both "tennis elbow" and "golfers elbow." However, I personally would prefer to move Wednesday nights to either Tuesday or Thursday. Perhaps Tuesday as the default, but if on Monday there are thunderstorms in the forecast for Tuesday move it to Thursday for that week?

-Bill

I didn't make it yesterday but do hope to come next week.

Les, any night you'd be going and able to continue helping me learn to roll, I'd like to join you. For the next few weeks probably any weekday would work so long as I knew the night before to put the boat on the car.

Anyone who can come next Wed should do so, and perhaps we can discuss whether keeping Wed evenings will work, or whether it would make sense to switch to another day. I, for one, am flexible.

(I also would be willing to help out with rolling practice/learning for anyone...)

pru

Hi,

Nancy Hill and I will be going to Walden on Monday nights starting September 5. We will be working on advanced rolls such as the norsaq forward leaning roll. I will be happy to give individual instruction to anyone who wants to work on his or her roll. I cannot speak for Nancy (Walden Pond rolling mentor par excellence) or for her availability, but she is a superb rolling teacher.

In the tradition of learning Greenland rolls, the design for Walden Pond instruction is mentoring. Once you have learned to master a roll through individual instruction by a mentor, at some point in the future, you pass it forward what your mentor has taught you to someone else who wants to learn to roll.

Katherine, if you need help with your roll and you can make it Monday night, I can be of assistance. Do you use a Greenland or Euro blade? Do you have a preference?

We try to be in our boats no later than 5:30 but people arrive at various times.

Nancy Hill and I will be going to Walden on Monday nights starting September 5.

Hi Leslie,

Since September 5th is not a Monday, I'm not confident I'm parsing your schedule correctly. Is the following what you intended?

• Wednesday, August 29th. Leslie's last Wednesday at Walden for 2012.
  • Monday, September 3rd (Labor Day).
  • Wednesday, September 5th,
  • Monday, September 10th. Nancy and Leslie start practicing Monday nights at Walden.
If my elbow permits, I will try to start joining you at Walden on Mondays in September.

UGH, I may need to start working Monday nights after Labor Day... I'll see how things pan out. Leslie, thanks for the offer of help. I paddle with a Werner.

Its Wednesday! Weather is good. Boats are on the car. I 'll be at Walden tonight, @ 5PM . I 'm meeting a friend there who is interested in kayaking, so we'll be floundering about, doing wet exits and such.