3/22 - Around Cousins Island - First time with Greenland paddle

brambor

My son and I went around Cousins island yesterday amind overcast but decent conditions. We had a good time paddling with no boat traffic and seas less than 3 feet.

4452385202_0c2f480e1e_o.jpg

It was my first time with a greenland paddle. I did not have enough guts to try any braces with it. Felt like waving around a toothpick with no support for bracing. OTOH it was great for paddling against the wind and for correcting weathercocking during regular paddling cadence.

4451380963_3b644a7887_b.jpg

This upcoming weekend I will give the paddle some try in a pool session to see how to do low braces and whether I can roll with it.

Nice report.

I see we are both using the Spot device...that si the type of track i wanted to put on my report but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Perhaps I'll ask via a a e-mail either here or on VFTT...spdr

oh I've used a greenland paddle exclusively these past couple of years...course dosen't mean I'm any good with it but does the trick for me...

I am not using a spot device.

Mine is a cell phone 'nexxus one' with an android operating system.

I downloaded a free app which tracks movement and saves the results in a kml file that can be directly opened in google earth. I then do a print screen and crop in image editing.

Download an app called MEGL

It is simple and does the job right.

thanks, my mistake.

We picked up a Droid the other day for an upcoming trip so I will give that a try.

Happy Paddling

spdr

[...]

It was my first time with a greenland paddle. I did not have enough guts to try any braces with it. Felt like waving around a toothpick with no support for bracing.

[...]

This upcoming weekend I will give the paddle some try in a pool session to see how to do low braces and whether I can roll with it.

I know that you have seen first hand that a GP can be used for rolling and bracing in bumpy conditions. :kayak-surfer:

Once you learn to cant and scull a GP so that it acts as a wing instead of just a skinny stick, you'll find a lot of support in it. They are wonderful for rolling because it is a "wing" and if your "off" hand is wrapped around the blade, you know its orientation and angle is correct. There is no backwards or incorrectly rotated to it.

Cheers!

Ty

My first roll was done with a Greenland stick and it seemed effortless compared to the many many tries with a Euro blade. I haven't paddled with one extensively and heard they are not as good in the surf as a euro but many folks now carry both on their kayaks. After taking a class with Cheri Perry I realized how easy rolling with a Greenland stick can be. When I tried the same technique with my Werner Cyprus it felt bulky and odd.

Neil :kayak-surfer:

Well I was slower than my son but that's just the way it might be for the time to come ;-) oh well. But I did enjoy waving the stick. Also, I felt a slight tendonitis the next morning. Probably because of my imperfect style combined with higher cadence for greenland paddle.

I can't wait for a pool session this Saturday.

My first roll was done with a Greenland stick and it seemed effortless compared to the many many tries with a Euro blade. I haven't paddled with one extensively and heard they are not as good in the surf as a euro but many folks now carry both on their kayaks. After taking a class with Cheri Perry I realized how easy rolling with a Greenland stick can be. When I tried the same technique with my Werner Cyprus it felt bulky and odd.

Neil :kayak-surfer:

Also, I felt a slight tendonitis the next morning. Probably because of my imperfect style combined with higher cadence for greenland paddle.

As others have said the techniques for paddling with a GP are not the same as a "standard" EP.

It is also true GPs vary just as EPs vary in terms of shape and how they "like" to be used.

Since there are many who use them regularly, ask about technique on paddles and at pool sessions and adopt what works for you.

While many comment about rolling with a GP, they are very nice tools for paddling generally.

Ed Lawson