Maelstrom Vaag in action Popham Beach ME

Doug

Great new play boat.

Here are some local pics (photographer unknown). Maelstrom Vaag vs. Popham Beach.... Awesome conditions in November.

Thanks, Lincoln Canoe & Kayak for bringing this new boat line to the states.

post-100651-1260714947_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1260714965_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1260714985_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1260715003_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1260715025_thumb.jpg

OK, so what is their claim to fame?

Maelstrom Kayak is only 2 years old. A bit early to have a "claim to fame". I rented the 1st States-side demo boat in September for 3 days. I found it to be the most responsive and intuitive boat in it's class. This includes the Valley Pintail (old school) & Tiderace Xcite (a bit fragile in normal lay-up and a tight squeeze for me given the exaggerated thigh braces) . The Romany Surf had many similar traits. There are lot's of nice boats out there and competition gives us choices we didn't have years ago. I am considering this boat for a future rock play/surf toy. The cosmetic issues I was concerned about at the time apparently have been addressed by the company since the demo boat was shipped here. Having issues at all surprised me a bit at the time since "Boreal Design" had recently become the manufacturer. I hear the new Vaag in Freeport is perfect.

Doug,

Impressive photos.

Can you comment on how the kayak fit you and how did you find the foam seat with the backbone support? What kind of conditions did you paddle it?

The kayaks look great. I won't be buying one but I think it's nice to have a dealer up here in the NorthEast.

rb

Maelstrom Kayak is only 2 years old. A bit early to have a "claim to fame". I rented the 1st States-side demo boat in September for 3 days. I found it to be the most responsive and intuitive boat in it's class. This includes the Valley Pintail (old school) & Tiderace Xcite (a bit fragile in normal lay-up and a tight squeeze for me given the exaggerated thigh braces) . The Romany Surf had many similar traits. There are lot's of nice boats out there and competition gives us choices we didn't have years ago. I am considering this boat for a future rock play/surf toy. The cosmetic issues I was concerned about at the time apparently have been addressed by the company since the demo boat was shipped here. Having issues at all surprised me a bit at the time since "Boreal Design" had recently become the manufacturer. I hear the new Vaag in Freeport is perfect.

As far as I can see, only <one> of those photos actually shows any surfing going on. The second photo in the sequence is, in fact, useless for anything as you cannot <see> the boat! (Oh, I know it looks dramatic and all that...)

Regarding the Tiderace boats, I thought they were designed and built <specifically> for robustness? Perhaps I am thinking of that designer's earlier version, the one that's built on Anglesey? I certainly remember reading thus...

Doug,

Impressive photos.

Can you comment on how the kayak fit you and how did you find the foam seat with the backbone support? What kind of conditions did you paddle it?

The kayaks look great. I won't be buying one but I think it's nice to have a dealer up here in the NorthEast.

rb

Having spent two days surfing the Vaag at Popham that weekend, here's what I can share with you regarding the fit. At 200lbs, I felt comfortable and never confined. The fullness of the chines and depth of the fore deck allowed ample room when shifting my body position without ever making me feel I was limited. The seat, albeit simple, was surprisingly comfortable and supportive, providing sufficient contact between body and boat. Never felt like I was sliding around, even when on my side or rolling. As for the back support, I was skeptical at first given how it felt on dry land - seemed to create an awkward pressure point on my lower back - but while paddling it never once was an issue. Had support when I needed it and never thought twice about what was back there. I've paddled a fair amount in a good cross section of kayaks and I have to say the Vaag has become my personal favorite due to its playful nature and fit. I was impressed.