Tucks Point Manchester RIP

leong

From now on only Manchester residents will be allowed to park at Tucks Point. This week the police are handing out warning notices. Next week the tickets will be real.

I got the warning today. Stopped by the police station and talked to the officer who issued my warning. No question ... only Manchester residents with town parking stickers will be allowed to park from now on.

Q.E.D. (quod erat demonstrandum).

From now on only Manchester residents will be allowed to park at Tucks Point. This week the police are handing out warning notices. Next week the tickets will be real.

I got the warning today. Stopped by the police station and talked to the officer who issued my warning. No question ... only Manchester residents with town parking stickers will be allowed to park from now on.

Q.E.D. (quod erat demonstrandum).

major bummer!

is this even if we park in the way, way back as well?

karen

major bummer!

is this even if we park in the way, way back as well?

karen

I think so (I was parked against the rocks on the side, just where the gravel lot changes to a lawn).

I think so (I was parked against the rocks on the side, just where the gravel lot changes to a lawn).

I suspect the complaints were not because of the all-day parking, way back against the rocks -- that really bothered nobody. It was probably paddlers blocking the main roadway near the water while they loaded and unloaded boats and gear. I've seen some really bad jams there, with kayak-carrying cars blocking things for way too long. But really, blocking for even a minute is not something we should do.

Lesson -- please please please -- be ultra polite and thoughtful at ALL put-ins, at ALL times. Keep your car well away from the center of activity and the water, even if it means you have to lug your boat and your gear quite a way. Park to occupy as little space as possible (yes, Adam, I hear you re Pebble). Double and triple up (but don't do it in double slots meant for cars/trucks with boat trailers). Get out of the way when anyone else needs or wants it, even if they don't explicitly ask.

Too late on this one, but let's get our act together for the remaining places. Of course, there are many more paddlers than just NSPN-ers, but we can both set an example and get on other people's case if they are acting badly -- don't be shy about it.

I also heard some bad news about Cohasset today -- the Lightkeeper's Residence is now requiring permits to park in their lot. In fact, kayakers shouldn't ever have been parking in the main part of that lot, but at the back, on the grass, and even then only after checking that there was no large function needing that area.

--David (sorry for being a scold)

Also - best to launch kayaks at Pavillion (Ipswich) at the boat launch end of the beach - Someone on the beach didn't like me coming back in mid-beach (even briefly, althought I had launched correctly). The parking lot is full on weekends now.

Anne

Gene mentioned alternative launches for Salem Sound; Pavilion, Gloucester; The Willows, Salem; Tuck Point, Beverly. I would add Deveraux, Marblehead and Dolliber Cove, Marblehead and we've had success in the off season at West Beach, Beverly and a little parking lot looking out at Kettle Island, Gloucester/Manchester.

As far as why we are no longer welcome at Tucks Point it has more to do with the common misunderstanding that we naked apes actually own the land we live on and somehow have the right to lord our ownership over others. They obviously don't appreciate the trash we've picked up over the years that their disrespectful town residents have left behind.

I suspect the complaints were not because of the all-day parking, way back against the rocks -- that really bothered nobody. It was probably paddlers blocking the main roadway near the water while they loaded and unloaded boats and gear. I've seen some really bad jams there, with kayak-carrying cars blocking things for way too long. But really, blocking for even a minute is not something we should do.

Lesson -- please please please -- be ultra polite and thoughtful at ALL put-ins, at ALL times. Keep your car well away from the center of activity and the water, even if it means you have to lug your boat and your gear quite a way. Park to occupy as little space as possible (yes, Adam, I hear you re Pebble). Double and triple up (but don't do it in double slots meant for cars/trucks with boat trailers). Get out of the way when anyone else needs or wants it, even if they don't explicitly ask.

Too late on this one, but let's get our act together for the remaining places. Of course, there are many more paddlers than just NSPN-ers, but we can both set an example and get on other people's case if they are acting badly -- don't be shy about it.

I also heard some bad news about Cohasset today -- the Lightkeeper's Residence is now requiring permits to park in their lot. In fact, kayakers shouldn't ever have been parking in the main part of that lot, but at the back, on the grass, and even then only after checking that there was no large function needing that area.

Is there any evidence that these new restrictions are due to kayakers bad behavior, not being thoughtful, polite, and/or having our act together?

Is there any evidence that these new restrictions are due to kayakers bad behavior, not being thoughtful, polite, and/or having our act together?

I don't know for sure, but have seen a fair number of people A) launch from the swimming beach; and B) park their cars close to the front of the lot. A gentle comment on the parking got the response that "I haven't had any problems parking here before".

A thought: should the NSPN list of launch sites be available only to paid members?

Phil

There is a better than even chance that it wasn't NSPNers that caused this. Several of us have been going on weekdays for years now parking in the back by the trees and launching from the grassy knoll on the other side of the cupola not the swimming beach. Anytime I've seen our paddlers going to the beach I ask them not to. Several times the Manchester police will check us out and lament that they can't join us-have to work! Recently there have been overflow crowds at Tuck's and it is possible that parking being finite this has called attention to the cars without stickers. This is all speculation. It is sad especially off season when hardly anyone is there. Maybe off season we could park and launch at Singing Beach. They let dogs on the beach then, I can drag my kayak and bark...

"As far as why we are no longer welcome at Tucks Point it has more to do with the common misunderstanding that we naked apes actually own the land we live on and somehow have the right to lord our ownership over others."

It was the Russian Anarchist Michael Bakunin who proclaimed "Property is theft!"

In the scuba world, the Bay State Council of Divers http://www.baystatecouncil.org/ is an organization that helps to defend the legal rights of divers to access to the water, among other activities. The State's dive shops are a major component of the membership but it also includes individual divers and clubs. When for example, Gloucester tries to implement new anti-diver ordinances in violation of MA state law, they raise funds and hire a lawyer to defend our rights.

It probably doesn’t apply in this case, but if paddler access is becoming more restricted, perhaps paddlers and shops may need to become more organized as well.

Ralph

In the scuba world, the Bay State Council of Divers http://www.baystatecouncil.org/ is an organization that helps to defend the legal rights of divers to access to the water, among other activities. ...

The problem is parking -- towns appear to have absolute rights to restrict beachfront parking to residents. So water access becomes moot. Unless, of course, we can recruit a corps of shuttle bunnies. (Apologies for the sexist epithet -- what's the male equivalent? Well, I guess there are male bunnies too.)

--David.

You're not!

Just got the news while vacationing here in Ireland. I remember when we had a large group at Tuck's a few weeks back that some newcomers to Tuck's both used the beach area to assemble and launch, as well others clogging the roundabout un/loading; thus we just seemed way too visible and intrusive, despite the holiday party staged by others.

I wonder if the threat of ticketing will be enforced if only a few nspn'ers park WAY back near the trees (as was my habit), always launch on the left (non-beach) side, and never block the roundabout?

I'm probably willing to try again, upon return mid-August.

Anyone know what the fine is? A minimal parking cost exacted only occasionally may not be prohibitive, eh?

We're off from Dublin enroute to Galway and Connamara, and nest week maybe |Cork and Dingle. Any favorite areas?

Cheers

Ern

You're not!

Just got the news while vacationing here in Ireland. I remember when we had a large group at Tuck's a few weeks back that some newcomers to Tuck's both used the beach area to assemble and launch, as well others clogging the roundabout un/loading; thus we just seemed way too visible and intrusive, despite the holiday party staged by others.

I wonder if the threat of ticketing will be enforced if only a few nspn'ers park WAY back near the trees (as was my habit), always launch on the left (non-beach) side, and never block the roundabout?

I'm probably willing to try again, upon return mid-August.

Anyone know what the fine is? A minimal parking cost exacted only occasionally may not be prohibitive, eh?

We're off from Dublin enroute to Galway and Connamara, and nest week maybe |Cork and Dingle. Any favorite areas?

Cheers

Ern

Hi Ernie,

In the year 2000, I walked the Dingle Peninsula by myself--I did the Inn to Inn walk--don't know how many miles I did in a day--usually 15 at least-- I f you get a chance do some walking--you will not be disappointed--

Les AKA Swearing Ferret