Bangs and Crow Islands - Saturday, June 20

ChrisM

Scott Camlin and I are planning a visit to the clubs adopted islands Bangs and Crow. This will be a day trip (not camping). Probably be a level 3 - 4+ depending on conditions. We'll put in at Cousins Island (on the left after the causeway) at 10:00am (butts in boat). The plan is to have a beach briefing then head North of Cousins and Chebeague then down to Crow and Bangs, as a group.

We will explore the islands and clean up what we can and possibly clear some small brush from an overgrown campsite.

Depending on the time and conditions maybe we'll head NE to Whaleboat Is. and check that out.

If you would like to join us please RSVP to Scott Camlin at: SCamlinATrestructassocDOTcom

If you plan to join Chris and I on Saturday, please email the following at scamlin at restructassoc dot com:

Name

Boat (Model, color, length)

Your cell phone number

Emergency contact name

Emergency contact phone number(s)

We'll be filling out a float plan and having the info in advance will save time during the beach briefing so we can get on the water.

With the predicted swells from the SE and the many ledges and shoals around and east of Bangs, conditions could include large breaking seas which is why we're posting it as level 3/4. Also, why helmets are a good idea.

Forecasts also call for patchy fog, so a chart, compass and navigational skills would be a really good idea for each paddler.

Water temps are about 54 degrees.

We expect to be off the water about 5 PM.

For the stewardship portion, it would help if you brought some trash bags and perhaps work gloves if you're concerned about debris. I believe there is poison ivy on this island. Given the season and the forecast (mild winds), I'm bring insect repellant.

Thanks.

Scott

I am up for going on this one. Beside garbage bags and gloves, what implements should we bring? Will we be ashore long enough to change to shore clothes? I've never done yard work in my drysuit!

I'll contact Scott with my info.

Rob