Blue Chart....Maptech...?

spider

I read alot about Blue Chart and have met some folks who use it.

Is MapTech offering much the same for Gps or is there some basic difference of what they are offering?

I did just buy the Blue Chart CD but I'm reluctant to open it if I can get all the Altanic Coast for one price and not piece by piece etc.

thanks

spider

(I did just get the Garmin 76Csx)

Hope it's not too late, but I'd use the base map in the 76csx first to see if you are satisfied with it. The MapTech maps will not download to your gps the way the BlueCharts maps will.

Tim-I have the 60csx and like it using National Geographic topo maps. I'm thinking of purchasing Blue Chart. I think you can purchase either the cd-rom or the memory chip. Can you upload maps from the chip onto the computer or is it better to download the maps from the computer to the gps? Which one goes both ways? Thanks for the help!

Thanks I was wondering that.

I'll be loading the Blue Chart Americas CD tommorow.

And of course there are separate fees to unlock the different regions...

I was told the chips are expensive.... do they also have added "unlock" fees?

I've been wondering that.

It would help determine which is the best way to go.

Pre-programmed BlueChart chips come ready to use in your gps unit, but I'm pretty sure they cannot be re-used on more than 2 gps units. The chips come in 3 zones, Americas, Atlantic (europe) and Pacific (asia). The chips cannot be uploaded to your computer.

The CD can go on your computer and get downloaded to the gps chip.

I didn't like either BlueChart method and use the basemap with the oldest version of their TOPO software. The discontinued US TOPO installs on your pc and downloads to the chip with out any unlock codes.

Hi Spider,

By now you have probably already loaded the blue chart but I wanted to reply anyway.

I didn't buy the blue chart from garmin due to what looked like a high expense for limited regions. Instead I went with Topo U.S. because it gives an added level of coastal detail, in land waters are also more specific, even very small islands and prominent rocks are named and represented, roadways are way better represented. I would still use nautical charts for higher level navigating etc, especially because the screen is not big enough to really see the info well on a gps. And $80 for all of the US is a good deal. I can put about a quarter of the US on a 2gb card at any one time from the CPU for the GPS, and move the maps on and off the card at will from the CPU.

I am curious to know what you think of the Blue charts?

Be well, safe paddling.

This is a screen shot with Topo, showing tracks around lake Champlain Vermont. Ocean coast and waters look similar to this.

post-100956-1238506576_thumb.jpg

Hi Spider,

By now you have probably already loaded the blue chart but I wanted to reply anyway.

I didn't buy the blue chart from garmin due to what looked like a high expense for limited regions. Instead I went with Topo U.S. because it gives an added level of coastal detail, in land waters are also more specific, even very small islands and prominent rocks are named and represented, roadways are way better represented. I would still use nautical charts for higher level navigating etc, especially because the screen is not big enough to really see the info well on a gps. And $80 for all of the US is a good deal. I can put about a quarter of the US on a 2gb card at any one time from the CPU for the GPS, and move the maps on and off the card at will from the CPU.

I am curious to know what you think of the Blue charts?

Be well, safe paddling.

This is a screen shot with Topo, showing tracks around lake Champlain Vermont. Ocean coast and waters look similar to this.

It seems like ancient history now (four years ago), but I bought the Garmin BlueChart Atlantic for use on a 24-foot sailboat I owned then. My Garmin Unit was/is a GPSMap76Cs, and I think I mostly used the BlueCharts to keep track of water depths under the keel, and for sighting buoys. That said, I never fully trusted it, and always had charts in the cockpit.

Once I sold the sailboat and got the Impex, I found that what I mainly use the outdated BlueCharts/Mapsource system for now is to track where I've been, and then display the results back home on the big screen...much like that screenshot from Lake Champlain. The expense for BlueChart detail seems pretty high for paddling work, in my opinion.

Blue Chart....Right now I'm lovin it like a kid in a candy store.

First thing I did was load Canada St Lawrence, over to the Mingans , Isle de Madeline, Gaspe, Anticosti ...etc,etc

For me that is great. Last year I spent 100 on 5 paper charts, that just barley covered some of the areas of interest . It's pretty hard to find the info resources when your up there, in either language. Here I was able to load about 70 maps for much the same price.

I also like how you can scroll almost seamlesly.

Definitly like the charted depths which helps you see where various whales might be, how much room they have to move around (ie Gaspe, Bay), and of course, are you going to run out of water at low tide. Things like that.

Curious to see what it has for shipwrecks around Anticosti Island, there is reputed to be 300 or more..

I'm glad this isn't my 1st GPS a lot of the concepts are the same, so it's not as hard as learning from scratch like the 1st time around.

...Also took lots and lots of advice on what might be useful for us, Figured no sense asking for advice if I wasn't going to use it...