Current Sea Kayaker mag...

Pintail

I see that the woman in black is setting off to try and circumnavigate Australia -- I wonder if she truly realises what she has bitten off? That is one huge piece of real estate...10 000 miles in one year is what she is attempting.

Anyone want to take a small wager? :D

I see that the woman in black is setting off to try and circumnavigate Australia -- I wonder if she truly realises what she has bitten off? That is one huge piece of real estate...10 000 miles in one year is what she is attempting.

divide by 365 = 27.40 miles/day....that's with no days off for weather or hunting crocs or bagging aussies...whatever. hard to bet against frau but but that's a tall order in one 365 day stretch.

wish her and anyone/thing in her way best of luck!

divide by 365 = 27.40 miles/day....that's with no days off for weather or hunting crocs or bagging aussies...whatever. hard to bet against frau but but that's a tall order in one 365 day stretch.

On the other hand...if she paddles 30 miles/day that would leave her 31-2/3 days to just lounge around.

Well, we shall see...

Meanwhile Riaan Manser is halfway around Madagascar and going strong...now this is the man who has already <cycled> right the way around Africa! He is paddling a sit-on-top-type thingie; but entirely fending for himself. His daily average is apparently 35km. Interesting.

I just finished reading 'Keep Australia on your left' which is a fascinating account of a pair (A New Yorker and an Australian) who attempted to circumnaviage Australia. The made it about half way before abandoning the effort, primarily because of personality differences. They used a tandem Klepper folding kayak, which weighed 400 lbs when full loaded; but had a sailing rig which helped them to make 40+ miles in many days. The most harrowing part of the journey was the crossing of the Gulf of Carpentaria which required a 4 day crossing during which they barely slept because of the high seas.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a slide show by Greg Stamer on his circumnavigation of Newfoundland : he said he averaged 37 or 38 miles a day, and he had one 53 mile day, including an all-night crossing, where his GPS clocked him at over 12 knots (IIRC) . I’ve never paddled 38 miles in any one day, so I’m reminded of when I figured out that Bill Rogers ran every mile of his marathon at a faster pace than I’ve ever run a single mile.

I think that these epic expedition paddlers are a breed apart, I would not apply “normal†human standards to them, so I think that it’s a decent bet that her goal will be met.

I saw a slide show by Greg Stamer on his circumnavigation of Newfoundland : he said he averaged 37 or 38 miles a day, and he had one 53 mile day, including an all-night crossing, where his GPS clocked him at over 12 knots (IIRC) . I’ve never paddled 38 miles in any one day, so I’m reminded of when I figured out that Bill Rogers ran every mile of his marathon at a faster pace than I’ve ever run a single mile.

I think that these epic expedition paddlers are a breed apart, I would not apply “normal†human standards to them, so I think that it’s a decent bet that her goal will be met.

Good point! I've done the marathon math as well and it's really shocking when you look at it from that perspective.