Olymus Stylus 1030 SW Camera

risingsn

OK, it's time. I replacing my 35mm waterproof camera (Wallmart $20) for a good (I hope) digital.

So whats working? I've heard pros & cons on this camera & the Pentax equivalent. I can get the 1030 sw for $271, but you be glad to pay less.

Any suggestions or feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

I have used the 1030SW Olympus camera for 4 months now. As far as waterproof cameras go I recommend this as your best choice for the money. I have used it in fresh and salt water environments and have intentionally allowed it to become soaked on many trips. I have paddled directly into 4 foot waves crashing into me and the camera mounted on the deck. Never a leak. Great quality optics. I have only positive feedback.

Check out these 2 shots holding the camera 1 foot under water at Lake Massabesic in September.

Doug

post-100651-1231460897_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1231460911_thumb.jpg

I received the Pentax Optio W60 for Christmas but I haven't used it on the water or in a pool session yet. Prior to this, we used a Canon -- I'm not sure which model -- which takes great pictures but is only waterproof in a large, cumbersome case.

The W60 has all kinds of bells and whistles on it and seems like it will be easy to use for taking stills and movies underwater. It is also very, very small which means it will fit nicely in a PFD pocket.

As for price: my husband bought it on Amazon and -- I cheated a bit and looked after Christmas morning -- it is less expensive than the Olympus.

Deb M :roll: :surfcool

I've used a Pentax W30 for over a year and not a problem. I haven't used a W60, but heard it has a few more bells and whistles. My Pentax W10 is still working perfect after 4 years also with no refurbishment necessary. I like the Olympus also from what I've seen of a few NSPN'ers that have them...Either camera will do the job I think.

The one plus to the Pentax is the ability, I believe to shoot repetitive automatic shots with a periodic rate you can adjust to your preference. i.e.: 5 second, 10 second intervals etc. I like that function a lot but not enough to change my choice from the Olympus which does not have this option. I simply feel the lens in a camera is the most important factor for obtaining high quality shots. I also have Nikon (my #1 favorite), Leica (#2) and Canon (#3). My Olympus is tied at 3d but is waterproof and very shockproof. These are my opinions for what it's worth.

Doug

I've been using the Olympus for about a year now.

I carry it in my PFD pocket and anyone who paddles with me knows how much time I spend upside down.

I just dump it into my water-filled camel bak to rinse after each paddle. The paint has peeled off the front of the camera but otherwise it has performed without a hitch. I use a 6GB SD-HD card in it.

Jon

Igot the 1030SW during the EMS 25%off sale in December. I plan to take lots of pictures and videos on an upcoming kayak trip. I was able to get a 16G sd hd mini card (for cellphones) because of the adapter that comes with the camera. The mini's are about half cost of the regular size sd hd's. I can store between 6000 and 9999 pictures. I also got a spare battery just in case. I can't wait to use it. My old digital is a sony and is not waterproof so shots were limited to calm conditions but "not no more"!

Betty

I've been using the Olympus for about a year now.

I carry it in my PFD pocket and anyone who paddles with me knows how much time I spend upside down.

I just dump it into my water-filled camel bak to rinse after each paddle. The paint has peeled off the front of the camera but otherwise it has performed without a hitch. I use a 6GB SD-HD card in it.

Jon

Jon, what was the color of the camera face? Thanks,

Chuck