Dover Point - General Sullivan Bridge

cathyfoley

Does anyone have experience playing in the strong currents at Dover Point,NH immediately around the General Sullivan Bridge on Rte 4? The current is very fast there when the tide is at full flow or ebb.

Are there any restrictions on that particular area?

Any specific hazzards such as whirlpools or currents that would pull a swimmer under?

Cathy,

This is the entrance to Great Bay, right? I went through there once in a powerboat years ago, but never under my own steam. Isn't there a park nearby with a boat ramp?

Could this be the next Big Hot Spot to paddle? It looks worth an exploratory expedition.

Cheers,

Rob

Answering my own question...

The satellite photo on Googlemaps shows a ramp right next to the North end of the bridge. First exit after the bridge should put you right there.

R

I have played there years ago... good for learning to roll in current and playing under the bridge to learn about ferrying. Good place to learn to understand current.

I don't remember anywhere there running so fast to prevent a roll or hold you under.

As anywhere there is a bridge, the biggest obstacle is the traffic under the bridge. So, watch out for boats and have fun.

Suz

Cathy,

This is the entrance to Great Bay, right? I went through there once in a powerboat years ago, but never under my own steam. Isn't there a park nearby with a boat ramp?

Could this be the next Big Hot Spot to paddle? It looks worth an exploratory expedition.

Cheers,

Rob

Yes Rob: Hilton Park is right there. Great parking and easy launch....less that 300 yard paddle and you're in the strong current.

I have played there years ago... good for learning to roll in current and playing under the bridge to learn about ferrying. Good place to learn to understand current.

I don't remember anywhere there running so fast to prevent a roll or hold you under.

As anywhere there is a bridge, the biggest obstacle is the traffic under the bridge. So, watch out for boats and have fun.

Suz

Thanks Suz....I think it looks like a good place to practice and its close to home for me.