Castle Neck Circuit Wed 7/2

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

Count me in, I think.

P.S.

Watch for the biting black fleas this time of year.

Count me in, I think.

P.S.

Watch for the biting black fleas this time of year.

Isn't the green heads that are troublesome among the grasses and dunes? And if so does ordinary insect repellent work against them.

Isn't the green heads that are troublesome among the grasses and dunes? And if so does ordinary insect repellent work against them.

Here is an answer from the Crane Estate Trustees:

"The Greenhead fly season at Crane Beach generally begins by July 11 and the flies are completely gone by the end of the first week in August. Fly intensity varies daily and they are frequently not present on the beachfront between July 11th and August 7th. Lifeguards, Beach Rangers, and other staff have long used an Avon product called “Skin So Soft” to keep the greenheads from biting. The “Skin So Soft” lotion is sold at the Crane Beach Snack Bar."

I'm not sure you want to get into Fox Creek anytime during this period!

No, I really meant little black fleas. They attacked Sid Cohen and me last week when we landed just inside Essex bay. Not as bad as the green heads but still pretty bad.

Sadly I don't think I can finagle a kayaking break in the middle of my workday... maybe it is something about the two week vacation I took in June and will be taking in July...

Have fun everyone!

Kevin, can't make it either. Higher priority (wife) want's to go to Singing Beach.

No, I really meant little black fleas. They attacked Sid Cohen and me last week when we landed just inside Essex bay. Not as bad as the green heads but still pretty bad.

On an early morning paddle several years ago on a hot humid day when there are lots of those black fleas, a nearby clammer told me to use baby oil to mitigate at least the bites from those bugs - it''s messy but it works pretty well and it keeps then from biting. Now what I'd really like is something that works for greenheads!

Anne