Amazing story from Paddling.net

Guest guest

Guest guest

i think that's a first.

there is usually at least one strident voice of discontent amongst the overwhelming din of happiness with that boat / company.

the story is pretty cool, huh? makes you think that really, all you gotta manage to do is stay in it and the boat will definitely take you somewhere almost regardless of the what the sea is doing.

of course staying in it, "ah, there's the rub"

Guest guest

What would you do if you dislocated your shoulder in 5-6 ft waves, a 5-6 knot "outflowing" current, and 30 knot winds. Would you exit the boat and try to swim to shore? Sounds like he got REAL lucky.

Guest guest

well, first of all, you shouldn't be there alone.

second of all, you shouldn't be there alone.

to paraphrase the man who invented kayaking (well, he's relatively certain anyways :) ) derek hutchinson - "...less than three there shall never be.." so i think what i would do in that instance is have my mates sort it out and tow my now sorry butt back to shore trying to stay upright best i could. either that or radio (shudder) for assistance.

i have a few friends who are excellent sled dogs and have built up a fair amount of tow equity myself and so would not feel in the least shamed to have them get me out of that mess.

this gentlemen may have paddled right past sweet reason and on into the silly all alone. does illustrate how sometimes folks just don't think about the dangers they may face on the water. a 5-6 knot current doesn't just "happen" so he was either unawares of what he was getting himself into (shudder) and / or didn't really adequately prepare for what he was getting himself into.

either way it demonstrates that the "weakest link" in this equation was the paddler and the lack of judgement and not the boat. forget NDK, where are all the paddler judgement QC critics?

he was fortunate that it was not "goodbye" and thanks for playing.

tough boat though.

extraordinary story and i have to say that i believe rick_S is right: what on earth is any human being/kayaker doing out in 5-6' waves, 5-6kt current and 20kt wind, on their own? (did i get the figures right?)

he doesn't his boat back, i believe. regarding marine law (peter k): i would think he relinquished his rights to it when he abandoned ship. it must have qualified for salvage when picked up by the frenchman? perhaps one of the crew was a sea-kayaker and rushed up to the bridge, saying: "arretez! arretez, mon capitaine! je vois un kayak de nigel dennis en plein mer...il faut faire de sauvetage..."

or something like that -- you think we could write a screenplay about it and sell it for big bucks to hollywood? (or bollywood? no, they wouldn't go for it: i have it on good authority that sea-kayaking hasn't caught on in india yet!)

Guest guest

ahhh, my own indiscrete past coming back to haunt me....

on the other hand, there are no 5 - 6 knot currents in the keys, there is no tide to speak of and the water is generally (as you will attest from experience) muy tranquilo and certainly you don't have to swim anywhere (you remember no doubt with great affection, the fun slogs we had in matecumbe bight). if it did kick up the greatest distance we were from shore was the middle of 7 mile bridge and the weather was very, very fair and visibility for all intents and purposes, limitless. we woulda seen anything coming in and take approporate course adjustment (for instance, another bar...and those i'm sure you DO remember, although foggily, fondly)

so, yeah, i go alone too. but i look around (a little) first.

I remembered it because I don't usually post on the kayak forum board.

He was not paddling alone. He was with 2 friends. He posted a description of "my saturday experience - - - " on the kayakforum so others could discuss and learn. Bravo for doing that.

Read his post and the ensuing discussion:

http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Techniqu....cgi/read/16300

His concluding sentences:

"so, i'm safe, my buds are safe, my Romany Explorer is out at sea somewhere and may turn up someday ... maybe England, or Bermuda .. or maybe even get washed up on the Outer Banks.

so what did i learn from this? (1) ##### HAPPENS and sometimes you jusst can't do much about it. you can't plan on possibly dislocating a shoulder. (2) my VHF radio was safely tucked away in my garage. didn't figure i'd need it. i'll not leave home without it again, you can be sure. "

He was only off by a bit. Truly amazing.

Liz N.

Guest guest

Liz,thanks for hooking up the story that explained the circumstances.

A couple of things came to mind:

Poor judgement-been there done that-fresh out of rescue class and into the Kennebec off of Fort Popham in our shiny new Carolinas.What was I thinking:-o!! What you don't know can hurt you-we were fortunate. This guy was too-losing only his boat.

Why would he take two inexperienced kayakers into these conditions on his own? Suppose they both went over at the same time,which was highly possible. Even if you get one guy back in his boat,is he going to be of any use helping you do the other rescue? More likely he'll be back in the water,before the second guy is out.

The other thing that's strange is that he would consider taking inexperienced paddlers to southeast Nfld,even after coaching them for a while. I've seen the water there,and it is Mucho Grande!!! No room for error,with lot's of rocky coastline and few bailout points. Ken Fink's description of getting off the shore in 10ft rollers is not far fetched! What was this guy thinking????!!!

I'm sure this was an eye opener for him,and I'm glad it turned out the way it did. Experience is a great teacher-if you survive.

Guest guest

Thanks Liz.

It's good to get the entire story. Sounds like one of those things that just keeps going from bad to worse.

-Bri

"We are all 80% salt water, aren't we?" - Anonymous

Liv2padl has been active in many of the P.net threads relating to NDK quality and has discussed the problems he's had with NDK boats, the repairs he's made, the need to hand-pick your boat, etc. Feel free to look up the threads. Like other NDK owners, he has stated that he paddles NDK boats because of the way they perform and in spite of their quality problems. I've never heard any serious criticism of the designs or their performance and I agree that they are excellent in that regard. The issues are strictly with construction quality.

Regardless, it's amazing that any boat made this journey. I hope he gets it back.