Mytic Lakes water temperature

glad

I used my teeny weeny zipper thermometer [it's turned out to be amazingly accurate] to check the top 6 inches at Mystic last night.

The water temp was about 54 but of course a little cooler farther down.

I was out at Walden Friday evening and some kids were already swimming. While it's too cold for me to jump in without a wetsuit, we're clearly past the wear a drysuit or die conditions.

Ralph

That might be the case in Walden Pond but the ocean is a different story.

Paddled out of York yesterday and while we did roll at the take out in the inner harbor sans hoods and gloves, I wouldn't have wanted to spend much time swimming in the deep.

Suz

I used my teeny weeny zipper thermometer [it's turned out to be amazingly accurate] to check the top 6 inches at Mystic last night.

The water temp was about 54 but of course a little cooler farther down.

Mystic Lakes water temps this week, late afternoon, 6" deep. Varies -1F with wind as cooler water is churned up to the surface (Tufts sailing coach explanation).

Mon 55F

Tues 56F

Thur 56F

Fri 57F

I really sweated in Friday's hot sun...developing a light rash on hands/feet by last night, so it's wetsuit time for the Lakes.

Cheers.

Hello All,

My name is Darrell and I am a new member of this group. I also got serious about sea kayaking last year paddling all around Salem Sound and out to Misery Island (and back).

So, over the past few days I've been itching to get out and kayak. But I was wondering about the water temp and was glad to see this post. I've often thought..."I'm not going out there without a drysuit on. So I really liked the comment "wear a drysuit or die" conditions.

So, when do you think it will be prudent to paddle in Salem Sound, harbor etc.. without a drysuit?

Any idea? late May perhap? Yes, I know it depends on the weather but is their a norm?

Also, I did check out buying a drysuit. Yikes! Those things are pricey.

:blush:

-Darrell

Hello All,

My name is Darrell and I am a new member of this group. I also got serious about sea kayaking last year paddling all around Salem Sound and out to Misery Island (and back).

So, over the past few days I've been itching to get out and kayak. But I was wondering about the water temp and was glad to see this post. I've often thought..."I'm not going out there without a drysuit on. So I really liked the comment "wear a drysuit or die" conditions.

So, when do you think it will be prudent to paddle in Salem Sound, harbor etc.. without a drysuit?

Any idea? late May perhap? Yes, I know it depends on the weather but is their a norm?

-Darrell

Drysuits are pricey Darrell...and I remember questioning the investment before I bought mine but once I took the plunge (so to speak) I don't have any regrets. I use it more often than I thought I would and it's pretty comfortable to paddle in.

Hello All,

Hi Darrell,

There have been many threads about suiting up, so check them out. My comment about switching to a wetsuit was strictly made re the now warmer waters of the area's LAKES, not the ocean. If you plan on getting salty very soon I'd purchase a drysuit. If not I'll let others (and past posts) address just when YOU should risk the ocean's spring chill.

One thought is to stick with warmer lakes until later, then take the Cold Water Workshop next fall, in the meantime chatting with Suz (Kokatat rep) about your needs/preferences.

Ern

Paddled out of York yesterday and while we did roll at the take out in the inner harbor sans hoods and gloves, I wouldn't have wanted to spend much time swimming in the deep.

I rather think this points to a very important point regarding water temps, clothing, etc.

If you roll up OK or are with people who can get you back in the boat promptly, then the levels of dress that will be OK is one thing. If you might spend some time in the water, then its totally another ball game.

I suspect even though she did it without hood and gloves, Suz would agree that both are very important if you swim and make rolling almost comfy even in cold water.

The time element is a huge factor which may explain why WW people are rather casual about paddling in cold water compared to sea kayakers.

Ed Lawson