Wednesday SNG Marblehead 7/26

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

That's a pretty ambitious trip for an evening paddle. One way distance from Riverhead, around the neck, past Tinkers, past Dread Ledge, and over to the Tides in Nahant is 10 Miles ONE WAY. 20 miles round trip. If you put in at Devereaux Beach across from Riverhead, that cuts off about 4 miles from the one way distance. Carefull at Devereaux though, it is a very steep beach, if there are any waves, they will be dumping.

The front side of the neck can be a fun paddle with lots of places to play, it can also be pretty nasty, as it is very exposed to the open ocean. Plan carefully. The good thing is that on the return, you can always take out at Devereaux Beach if conditions warrant, and portage across the street to Riverhead.

PS. If you are interested in some surfing and some paddling, you can always park at the Tides in Nahant, (free after 5pm) do some surfing, and also paddle out around Eastern Point Nahant. Very nice out there, and also very exposed. You can circumnavigate Nahant and take out across the road from Tides, it's about 6 miles around. The take out has some rip rap to climb up, but it's not toooo bad.

Well then, regarding Deveraux, as I understand it you cannot launch/land there when there is a lifeguard though I guess evening is okay. I personally dislike Riverhead because of the trip through the boats and the oil, etc. on the water near the shore. On the other hand, as mentioned elsewhere, the coast of Marblehead Neck and the nearby outlying rocks are fun for rock play.

If you continue around the bend past Deveraux you can hit Ram Island and/or cruise the coast. Mafia Rock is there as well as Bradley's favourite rock, many places to gunk hole.

If you guys decide you want to do the longer trip to from Marblehead to Nahant, I'd be happy to pick you all up in Nahant and bring you back to Marblehead to save you the 10 mile paddle back . . . I can never quite make these trips b/c of work but I can certainly be there in time to pick you guys up and maybe even catch a few waves depending on when I get there . . .

>Well then, regarding Deveraux, as I understand it you cannot

>launch/land there when there is a lifeguard though I guess

>evening is okay. I personally dislike Riverhead because of

>the trip through the boats and the oil, etc. on the water

>near the shore. On the other hand, as mentioned elsewhere,

>the coast of Marblehead Neck and the nearby outlying rocks

>are fun for rock play.

A few weeks ago we put in at Riverhead, spent some hours in the sound, paddled around the Neck and took out at Deveraux during a very busy period. We carefully landed well away from the supervised swiming area (there were a couple of small yaks there). We carried gear to the cars across the road....even floated the boats down towards the parking lot a bit and then carried carefully up.....the parking lot attendent even let us pull the car into the Deveraux lot to load the boats, saving carrying them across the road. I do not know what the official rules are, but we showed respect for the swimmers and beach lizards and the officials did not seem uncomfortable with our take out.

Al