Camping in the Portland Area

Gillian

Hi there, any recommendations for campgrounds in the Portland Area? We're going up for the Portland Island Hop trip in August and thought I'd ask around . . . last time I camped near there, there was an actual nightclub at the campground . . . looking to avoid another such disaster :)

Thanks!

Recompense Shores in Freeport is the one I usually use up in that area. No nightclubs though you may hear the cows mooing at the sunrise ;-)

Hey Gilly--

I haven't been there myself, but I looked up campgrounds in the Portland Chamber of Commerce directory here at work (boss left! :)), and I have a listing for Bayley's Camping Resort, www.bayleys-camping.com in Scarborough, ME. There's also Point Sebago, but I think that's inland. Hope that helps...

Heidi Hope...Huber Hall :)

being a former resident of Freeport, I would also reccomend Recompense Campsites----it's located on Wolfe's Neck east of the village (take a right off rt 1 opposite LL Bean's---as far as paddleing out of there however, you should be aware that the tide goes out a very long way over deep mud flats---another alternative if you are a MITA member is to park your car at east end beach in Portland and camp on one of the MITA islands---Little Chebeague or the one just off the tip of Diamond(can't remember the name but it's in the guide book)

>another alternative if you are a MITA member is to

>park your car at east end beach in Portland and camp on one

>of the MITA islands

I don't think parking overnight at East Prom is reccomended or may not even be allowed. I asked this spring about that and all I got were negatives from Portland parks and police folks. They suggested parking on the main street above, but I'm not sure that is a great idea either.

There is a Maine state park on Wolf's Neck with camping and the Town of Freeport has a park with camping and over night parking if camping on a MITA island. It is called Winslow Park. You can launch from Winslow so they say (no personal knowledge), but not from Wolf's Neck.

Hmmm. Here is a thought. Why not a SNG on Sunday for the northern part of Casco Bay to make a weekend of it? Maybe leaving from Winslow Sat evening after the official paddle, camp on Bangs or Jewell, then cruise around, visit Eagle, etc. on Sunday? Or to be more sensible, paddle from Cousins or maybe Harpswell on Sunday. Well...forget sensible...if conditions are OK...cruising upper Casco at night can be fun.

Hey there!!! Actually Kevin and i are doing the Portland NSPN trip scheduled that Saturday which is why we're looking for camping in the area . . . want to join us on that one??? I think there's plenty of room left . . . .

We may be convinced to do some paddling on Sunday too, and actually perhaps even an evening paddle . . . :)

Hi Gillian. Just returned today from my sojourn to mid-coast Maine. I HIGHLY recommend Winslow Park (http://www.freeportmaine.com/winslow%20park/winslowpark.html), having spent the last 2 nights there. It is one of the nicest campgrounds I've been to, and only $25/nite for a shoreside (bluff) tent or camper site, $20 for "inland" spot. Showers, sandy beach, boat ramp, and dock. No honky-tonk; everyone's asleep by 10 pm.

Gary

Id like to know why 25 bucks a night seems resonable to ANYONE for a spot to pitch a tent.

You can rent a nice apartment in the Portland area for that kinda money!!

You all must have very deep pockets.

Why not just paddle out to one of the many islands in Casco Bay and camp for free?

Just a mention re:kayak camping in Maine. We're just back from an overnight on Whaleboat,and for the first time,ticks were a major problem-including the dreaded deer tick. I'm hoping that the deer tick population,being on an island,may not have been Lyme affected yet. I'm now on watch for the "bullseye rash".Had a conversation with one of the guys at H2O,and he says it's been a big problem lately.

So,if you go,be aware,particularly in tall grass or vegetation areas.Do a thorough check for ticks-really thorough,cause deer ticks are tiny,and easily missed on skin,clothing or gear.

And if you paddle in Harpswell(Dolphin Marine)you might want to do it on a weekend other than the Lobster Boat Races. Holy Crap was it crazy there yesterday! We avoided most of the racing,but unfortunately paddle back in when the "Big Drunken Raftup" was breaking up. The marine patrol came out to us,to make sure we would be ok coming in.

I must be a slow learner..we did the same thing last year with our sailboat!