Mystic Lake Practice today (July 18) is STILL on ...

djlewis

3:30 PM -- The thunderstorm line has not yet materialized, and the Boston area is somewhat off to the edge of the predicted line (Manchester NH is, for example, smack on the line). So, let's paddle. But I'll keep my VHF tuned to weather radio, and we'll watch the sky.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, Sandy Beach is posted with a pollution alert, but I think we are OK. I spoke to DCR Engineering, and they say that it's remnants of last week's rain working its way down the Aberjona. Also, they do a five-day average (moving geometric mean, for you geeks out there) with a much more stringent standard than the daily one, and the engineer I spoke to thought that was probably the reason for today's alert. In fact, the pollution level level was nearly in bounds for the swimming standard on Saturday, the last figure he had at hand.

Launch at 5:30 PM. All levels welcome.

--David.

Hi David,

I hope to be at Mystic tonite with my surf ski--anyone welcome to try--however, I feel obliged to warn people about the bacteria count--In my humble opinion, rolling practice should be done cautiously--at least with earplugs and face mask--I took my 2 labs swimming yesterday at Mystic near where we launch--and "funky" is the best I can describe the water--also, given the bacteria count, if a swimmer does get an "ENT" (Ear, Nose and Throat) infection b/c of the water conditions--the recovery can be uncomfortable and costly--I know of a swimmer who was at Mystic just recently and got an ear infection the next day--maybe b/c of the waters -- maybe not --however, going to the doctor, missing work, getting meds, feeling sick for days after--makes her think twice about swimming in Mystic Lakes--just a word of caution--sorry to be a doomsdayer--but guess what, I'm not rolling at Mystic--however, maybe it is just me--Les

The bacteria count on Saturday was 114, versus a swimming standard of 61. When it gets bad, it can be many times that, sometimes into the thousands. Also, since there hasn't been any rain since Saturday, it can only be better now. In fact, it is probably well below the standard 61, except that they take a moving 5-day geometric average against 31.

Bottom line, plain speak -- the pollution level is not out of control. It may be marginal for swimming, but the standards are really quite strict.

Anyway, during practice we can definitely be careful about immersion, which is always the individual's choice, of course -- as is any given activity.

--David.

I swim across the lake and back (unless Jason wants to tow my weary body part of the way) and have never felt ill effects in the form of infections. As for other (behavoural?) side effects I leave it to the individual observer. I can say that the fresh water in Mystic is no less irritating to the nasal passages than any other fresh water I have spent a significant of time (immersed) in. And remember, that surf ski is tippy...

Gillian,

It's a quick, tippy semi-racing 17 footer. 26lbs. I can barely keep it up in light winds or a few inches chop. Boys 'n toys...oy.

Air temp 91F at the Lake.

See ya soon.

Ern

Hi all

I'm the one who went to Mystic Lake a few weeks ago after the rains when the bacteria count was supposedly "good". I was rolling and got a severe allergic reaction within a few hours of the session. It took me a week to shake it and I don't have severe allergies.

So I just want to caution people about immersion when the waters are questionable. I second leslie that I don't want to put a damper on anyone's activities (!) However, just use good common sense. Bacterial infections are a bear to get rid of.

Just thot I'd put this out there

Sorry guys

Deb D

Ok ladies and germs I went rolling without my noseplugs (forgot) and felt the rush of water up my sinus passages tonight. I'm your canary in the mineshaft, I get infections just thinking about them. If I'm OK next week I'll report back.

Gene