Annisquam / Jones River / Long Wharf - use at low tides?

tedious

Never been to this launch before, but am thinking about trying it tomorrow (July 4th). Ideally I would like to get there VERY early (like 6:30 AM) and return whenever I get tired, which is likely to be about noontime. This also coincides with the lower end of the tide - will the launch still be workable, or will I be fighting back through the mud?

Any other information for a first timer there (on parking, bugs, other conditions) would certainly be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Tim

I have launched there frequently in the past. At low tide there is still a very shallow channel that sweeps out to the south from the ramp toward the main channel. It is too shallow to paddle, but if you get out and walk, you can avoid having to carry your boat too far. The bottom is mostly sand.

Have fun!

Rob

Had a very nice trip, went up to Essex and poked around in the marshes; got chomped by a greenhead the size of Cleveland, but that was the only one that bothered me. Unfortunately both the current and the wind were contrary coming back (I knew they were going to be) and it was a bit of a death march - I stopped for a swim at Wingaersheek and got back to Jones River about 11:30. The launch is in fact usable at dead low tide - just barely! I sure wouldn't want to launch any larger boats there though - that's one steep ramp.

Highlight of the day was watching a singlehanded sailor in an older wooden sloop beat back up the Annisquam, against the wind and through all the boat traffic, and drop it perfectly on the mooring - looked like he'd done that before.

Thanks again for the info.

Tim