Leadership Training Workshop - June 1 and 2: we invite more participant comments, a good read!

Posted (edited)

I want to thank our board and Sue Hriciga  for sponsoring and Todd and Lorrie for leading this past weekend’s course.  Both fantastic teachers.   We had a lot of fun, reached more goals than we had expected, skills and scenario based and learned how to build teams to have more safe adventures on the water.  Many folks came out of it inspired to lead or help more trips.   

I celebrated by finishing a gargantuan platter of Ipswich Fried Clams at the Dockside restaurant and believe it or not, today I am still hungry.  

Edited by glad

That's great to hear. I would love to read more about what happened over the weekend if you and/or other attendees can post some details! I'm sure there will be a lot of interest from folks who could not attend.

Posted (edited)

It was a great weekend of learning, and I'll let others fill in the details on what we did over the course of the weekend. I firmly believe that you'll see a number of paddles posted in the coming weeks by workshop attendees (including me) who came away feeling empowered to organize and lead trips for the club. This was one of my personal favorite NSPN club events, mostly because of the shared experience of being part of 10 paddlers all pushing beyond boundaries and bonding while doing things we probably didn't think possible at the start of the weekend.

At the end of the workshop on Sunday, we talked about each participant's next steps towards leadership, and about half of the group said they felt ready to assist in the #2 position, but not as the primary leader for a club trip. If the club really wants to pour rocket fuel on this initiative (for this and subsequent years), I'd encourage existing trip leaders to volunteer to help mentor upcoming leaders to co-lead a trip, and get some dates on the calendar while the stoke of this leadership weekend is still high.

Speaking as a workshop participant and a former board member, I think there's a winning combination here to develop new leader potential through:

1. Classroom/off-season workshops (Joe's navigation and trip planning workshops, WFA certification) in the winter months

2. This on-the-water Leadership Training Workshop

3. An immediate pairing of new leaders with more-experienced club mentors or other workshop participants to schedule and co-lead a couple of trips.

4. Continued promotion of our own excellent in-house/club skills development sessions and pond sessions.

I feel very fortunate to have been selected to attend, and I hope to repay the club by paying it forward. If you didn't get to attend this year, I hope that those of us in the 2024 cohort set a precedent by increasing the number and diversity of club trips so that this becomes a 'no-brainer' annual investment for the club going forward.

Edited by Dan Foster
added WFA

Thanks for the summary Dan—that was very helpful for understanding what this was!

I would like to say that I would be very happy to help mentor any workshop attendees who would like to work with someone on co-leading a club trip. Please feel free to direct message me and we can figure something out.

Dan, I agree with your summary and thank you for your post. I am also grateful for my participation and would encourage this workshop to be repeated at least annually so that other club members can take advantage of the instruction and feel more comfortable in a leadership or co-leadership role. The workshop combined theory, creative problem solving, paddling/rescue skills, situational awareness, and incident management. One take away is the need to become comfortable with your own gear and rescue skills in mock situations before they are actually needed.   Practice those rescues!  I plan to co-host a club paddle this season as well.     Shari

It was a wonderful and fun weekend of learning. Thanks for Todd and Lorrie teaching and sharing your knowledge and experiences, also thanks to everyone else in the class for supporting each other, and creating a safe and fun learning environment.The workshop helped me realized not only the skills that I need to continue working on, but also how much I have grown since I joined nspn a year and half ago with zero sea kayak experience. I appreciate the club providing me this opportunity to learn leadership skills. I am happy to shadow trip leaders and contribute where I can in the future.

Edited by Qian Liu

• glad changed the title to Leadership Training Workshop - June 1 and 2: we invite more participant comments, a good read!

Hello Everyone,

I am so pleased by the thoughtful and enthusiastic comments here, and in private phone conversations with participants over the past week.  I would also like folks to know that I have heard your suggestions, to include offering this workshop to additional club members and other educational opportunities as next steps.  As always, the door is open for all members to communicate with me regarding your ideas on club matters.  I look forward to hearing from you !

Offering this workshop and hopefully related workshops in the future, under the umbrella of paddler development, represents one of my primary goals as club president.

Cheers, Sue

• 4 weeks later...

I found this workshop extremely valuable, and I hope the club will make this a regular annual event.  I agree with Dan's comments.   I already volunteered to lead one Weds. Lunch Paddle since the workshop  (in benign conditions and with the help and advice of several more experienced paddlers) and found that to be an interesting but manageable challenge.   Dan and Britta have also led a WLP after the workshop.  

One consensus idea among the participants was to make some skills practice integral to our journey-oriented club paddles (with participation by choice).  For example, we can routinely work in some rescue practice in realistic conditions or decide to do a slightly more challenging landing (with support from shore for the more wary).