Updating Directions and Parking Information for our Site

Gillian

Hi there, we've noticed lately that many of the directions and information related to put ins for our trips are out of date and it wouldn't hurt to be updated. I'm sure most of you guys know these places by heart, but for us newer members to the club, I'm collecting any information and updates you can send me! Someone even mentioned a road had disappeared from one set of directions :)

Most of what we'd like to update is located:

http://www.nspn.org/play-put-ins.html

If you could post to this message or email me directly at gilliankirstel2003@yahoo.com, any updates you have on directions, parking, parking fees etc. it would be greatly appreciated so I can get the site updated . . .

Thanks!

>In the "Maine" section the put-in for Cousins Island is

>listed as Stockton Springs. ...I'm pretty sure Cousins Island is in Yarmouth.

>

Correct. The current description is: "Take the Maine Turnpike to exit 9, Falmouth, follow the signs to continue on Rt. 95. Get of Rt. 95 at exit 17. Backtrack on Route 1 (south) then turn left on Route 88. Turn left on Princess Point Road, left again on Gilman Road. Cross bridge to Cousins Island, Sandy Point Beach is immediately on the left." Instead of I-95 I believe it is actually I-295.

I suppose each has a favorite way of getting there, but I prefer taking I-295 through Portland, then getting onto 1, then getting onto Me 88, and then turning right onto Gilman which you basically stay on until you cross the bridge onto Cousins. Very simple and direct.

For getting to the East Prom in Portland, I prefer getting off I-295, at the Commercial St. exit, follow Commrcial St. to the end, then left one block to Fore St., right onto Fore Street and follow to top of hill where you bear right to go down to the East End Beach

I know there are different views on this subject, but I would also suggest removing the listings for Stonington as those spots have practical problems, but more importantly it is easy to irk locals by tying up their areas. As people "from away" we need to be careful about this. Better to support people like Old Quarry Outfitters and others in the area.

For the Portsmouth area, there is a decent launching spot on both sides of the bridge just before Ordione Park. One is a lot that is part of Ordione Park. Not great at low tide, but is a quicker way to get out via Little Harbor. To get there take Route 1 south from Portsmouth traffic circle/Exit 5 I-95, then take a left onto Elwyn Road. There is a sign at this turn for 1A and Beaches. Follow Elwyn Road to an odd intersection called Foyes Corner where you can get on 1A and then follow 1A till you reach the bridge. There are a few spaces on the near side of the bridge and a nice lot with concrete ramp on the far side. In season there is a fee for using the lot.

Ed Lawson

There is a Sandy Point in Stockton Springs on Penobscot Bay and a Sandy Point on Cousins Island in Casco Bay---both are popular put ins for paddlers but they are about 100 road miles apart.

For those heading up to Stonington or MDI, Exit 113 North of Augusta on I-95 is open so you can directly get on route 3, which takes you to Belfast, without going through Augusta. Much quicker.

Ed Lawson

>

>For those heading up to Stonington or MDI, Exit 113 North of

>Augusta on I-95 is open so you can directly get on route 3,

>which takes you to Belfast, without going through Augusta.

>Much quicker.

>

>Ed Lawson

The quickest way to get to MDI is to follow route I-95 all the way north to Bangor, take rt I-395 to Brewer then follow rt 1A directly to Ellesworth, then rt 3 to Bar Harbor---you don't even have to make a turn once you leave Brewer----it is at least an hour quicker than following rt 3 from Exit 113 through Belfast-assuming there is no construction on the way--last I knew there was repaving around Holden which may cause delays but that may be over now---to go to Stonington follow I-95 to I-395, then take exit 4, rt 15 directly to Bucksport, Bluehill and eventually Stonington.

>The quickest way to get to MDI

I have a thing for a watering hole in Belfast and that run over from Bangor has got to be one of the more desolate ones around if memory serves. I will try it next time nevertheless. I was just pointing out that using Exit 113 was faster than the older route through Augusta.

Ed Lawson

Youre right Ed, the scenery around Belfast north to Bucksport is nicer plus you get to go over the brand new Penobscot Narrows bridge--there are some nice bars and restaurants in Belfast---before you go through Brewer---Ellsworth chech to make sure the road construction is finished.

Our site says:

"Manchester MA

The public landing behind the police station is the preferred put-in for Manchester which provides access to Misery Island and beyond."

Last summer this lot was posted for 2 hours maximum in all spots. I spoke to the police and they said it was being enforced and had no suggestions for good alternatives in town (the NSPN suggests some other very limited options.

Al Coons

Eddyline Nighthawk

Red/White

Our site says:

"Magazine Beach

Located off Memorial Drive, just east of the B.U. Bridge – from the east, drive west on Memorial Drive past the B.U. Bridge, then change direction by turning around in a parking lot and turning left onto Memorial drive. Driving east on Memorial drive, stay right (don’t go on the overpass), turn right into the parking lot just before the bridge. Drive to the end of the lot. The small beach is adjacent to the ball field. NOTE: This Charles River put-in is NOT at a boat house or picnic area and is NOT at the MDC swimming pool building. It is next to the baseball field which is only accessible from Memorial Drive eastbound."

Unless something has changed, the parking in the this lot was limited to 2 hours. I have called the State Police each time we want to launch from here, and they say just put a note in your car window explaining you are kayaking, and the name of the officer you spoke to. I have no idea if in fact they enforce the 2 hour limit. Anyone have any experience pushing it?

I will try to stop by and see what the postings are now. They did renovate the area where we have been putting in at the end of the lot.

Al

Al Coons

Eddyline Nighthawk

Red/White

For Salem, two things:

1. Scituate is treated as a Salem put-in instead of a separate city.

2. Put in at the Friendship (tall masted ship on Derby Street). There is a small beach to the left of this ship which can be used as a put in. It is federal property given that it is park of the National Park system, but there are no signs saying you can't launch from here. I have done so many, many times with rangers present and they haven't said anything to me. Couple of issues involve limited parking, a small portage to the water and no water at low tide. Good for putting in early and for those who can trasport their kayaks to the water using a wheel system. Follow Rt. 114 into Salem, take a left on Norman Street. Follow Norman Street through the lights where it becomes Derby street. Follow Derby Street approximately 3/4 of a mile past Pickering Wharf to the Friendship. On street parking only.

• 2 weeks later...

Just stopped by Magazine Beach as promised.

(1) The parking lot is posted for 3 hour max and no after dark parking. As I mentioned, I have called the state police in the past and they have said just put a note on your dashboard...that has always worked.

(2) Not much progress on the "construction." The wooden walkway/bridge (for what reason???) is complete and leads right to what seems to be a place to put-in on the river bank. However, there have been no improvements on the river bank. In fact, rubber and straw environmental booms still line the shore for 100 yards. As in the past, they should pose no problem.

(3) I never noticed it, but there is an old sign to the left of the put-in saying that this area is a run-off area in wet weather...or did it say sewage. Anyway, if I swim right there, I better stay off the ocean!

Al Coons

Eddyline Nighthawk

Red/White

We need to also include the following put-ins for the Merrimack River

Newburyport

Cashman Park

Rocks Village

Black Cow

Joppa Flats

Access to the Merrimack and the ocean through the mouth (although can be a dangerous way to find the sea)

Will add details when I have them.

We should also add the Beverly, Ipswich and Chinatown YMCAs since we use them so frequently.

Hi Gillian. Thanks for your efforts updating the launch information. A popular put-in in the Portsmouth area (Rye, NH) is Seavey Creek, just before Odiorne State Park.

From the North or West, head S on Rte 1 at the traffic circle. Travel 2.0 miles(you will cross Sagamore Creek), and turn left onto Elwyn Road at the traffic light. Travel 1.4 miles to Foyes Corner, and proceed straight on Rte. 1A (Pioneer Rd) for 1.1 miles to Seavey Creek. There is free, sometimes congested parking on the near side of the Creek, and the launch is muddy. A $5 parking/launch fee is charged at the lot on the far side of the Creek, but there is a gradual cement launching surface.

Perhaps others could fill in directions from the South.

Gary

The Merrimack also has two put ins in Haverhill/Bradford, the Haverhill put in has plenty of parking. Amesbury and Groveland also have put ins for the Merrimack but they're resident only parking, still they're nice bail out points.

Merrimac (the town) also has one put in to the Merrimack that is extremely well hidden and lacks parking, but it works as a bail out or lunch spot.

I'll try to gather some directions to these put ins.

Hi Gillian

Thanks for taking on this important chore.

Super trivia:

In Medford, it's the "Upper" Mystic Lake that we use for practice sessions.

For the Lower Mystic, which drains into the Harbor as the Mystic River, follow directions to the Upper lake, but from Sagamore, take a left onto Mystic Valley Parkway. The put-in is on your right across a short grassy field; park on the MV Parkway.

Tom

>

>If you could post to this message or email me directly at

>gilliankirstel2003@yahoo.com, any updates you have on

>directions, parking, parking fees etc. it would be greatly

>appreciated so I can get the site updated . . .

Here are directions for the Sandy Point launch site on Cousins Island in Yarmouth Maine. These directions are for a more direct route than is what is inaccurately listed currently.

Take I-295 through Portland, get off on Exit 15 and take route 1 north, turn right onto Portland Street, then take a right onto route 115/88, follow 88 until you can take a left onto Princess Point Road which will shortly merge with Gilman Road. Follow Gilman Road till you cross the bridge onto cousins Island. There is a parking lot on the left immediately after crossing the bridge. Take the paths down to the beach area on the right of the bridge as viewed from the parking lot.

Ed Lawson