Get Ready Now ! - Essex Race, then 20th Blackburn Challenge 2006

Guest guest

Guest guest

http://www.blackburnchallenge.com/Essex.html

The The Essex River Race is a short 5 mile event from the Essex River at Route 133 in Essex. This is a flatwater race.

The best way to learn about racing (if that interests you?) is to just go to a race to look, paddle and learn.

http://nesurfski.net/

http://www.blackburnchallenge.com/

http://www.blackburnchallenge.com/20th-Anniversary.gif

1.Surfski :

No limits - Record time, 2:31:23 by Greg Barton in the Epic-V.10 2005

2.Racing Kayaks:

No minimum beam width, wing paddles allowed. For those paddlers who concentrate on racing and have the equipment to go with it. Previous top finishers of the Fast Touring Kayak class are encouraged to enter this class.

3.Fast Touring Kayaks:

20" beam or greater, wing paddles allowed. For fit paddlers who don't specialize in racing but have faster than average kayaks and/or are faster than average paddlers.

4.Touring Kayaks A:

20" beam or greater, 17' or longer, no wing paddles. For first time racers in typical sea kayaks, and experienced paddlers who are less serious about racing.

Touring Kayaks B:

20" beam or greater, less than 17' in length, no wing paddles. For first time racers and beginner paddlers in slower boats.

If anybody is looking to do the blackburn in class "4. Touring Kayaks A" and needs someone to paddle the course with them a few times let me know.

I like going out on the longer trips but I am not currently intrested in racing the Blackburn.

Thanks -Jason

It will be a while before I am ready to do the whole route - I have not paddled all winter.

I wanted an aggressive, high-angle, foam-core paddle and tried the Werner Ikelos. My joints were sore after a 10-mile day. I used Nigel's paddle on the S. Monomoy trip last year and felt fine after. I like the way it moves in the water and does not dive or slice.

Sorry I can't be more technical on the review. I'll be happy to let people try it, after I get it wet for the first time. :-)

Liz N.

• 1 month later...

>I like going out on the longer trips but I am not currently

>intrested in racing the Blackburn.

Remember that the Blackburn bills itself as a "Challenge" not a "Race". You don't need to be interested in racing to enjoy the challenge of paddling around Cape Ann. You could do this with one or two friends any day of the year, but it does add to the experience to do it with a large group who are all trying to push themselves beyond their typical effort

There are only a few people who enter the race with serious thoughts of winning. Most do it as a personal experience.

Also, at the end of the race there is food, beer and this year ice cream.

>Remember that the Blackburn bills itself as a "Challenge"

>not a "Race". You don't need to be interested in racing to

>enjoy the challenge of paddling around Cape Ann. You could

>do this with one or two friends any day of the year, but it

>does add to the experience to do it with a large group who

>are all trying to push themselves beyond their typical

>effort

Including going without bio breaks for over four hours... or some alternative. ;-)))

--David.

I will most likely do this race in the Touring Class A category. I agree with Nick's comments! Call it a fast show n go with beer at the end if that helps.

Hopefully we can get some paddlers together for a few trial runs as we get closer to the Blackburn.

Chip

NDK Explorer

I'm thinking I may try the challenge this year. Lots of getting in shape to do though. Any suggestions as to a training regimen?

Thanks!

Guest guest

Carl, who is that question addressed to ?

If it's addressed to me, send me an email and I'll tell you how to prepare to do it in under 3 hours.

But I warn you, I expect you to believe in yourself and you must be determined to give it all you've got, pedal to the metal all the way around. That is how you "win" these races, and start to hallucinate somewhere Brace Rock.