New to Kayaking/Beginners Workshop - April 22 - RSVP Required

alcoons

Subject: New to Kayaking/Beginners Workshop

Date: Saturday, April 22

Time: 9-12 AM

Lunch: Possible informal lunch together at nearby location if there is interest.

RSVP required: Limited to 50. RSVP to kayakclass@verizon.net

Description:

Al Coons, Cathy Foley, Anne Harper, & Anne Reynolds will help those new or feeling new to kayaking become more comfortable about equipment choices, getting on the water, and NSPN.

GOALS

To help beginners:

A. make good choices in purchasing and/or renting equipment, and

B. understand the progression of sensible on-water training and trips.

EQUIPMENT

A. Boat Choices (Buy/rent, new/used, appropriate boats...)

B. Paddle Choices (inexpensive/expensive, feathering/not, adjustable/not, weight, costs....

C. Additional Equipment (spray skirt, , PFD, compass?, paddle leash, water bottle, gloves, first aid kit, maps, ...

D. Clothing (Basic clothing for safety and comfort at times when beginners would be paddling, water temps, emergency clothing,...

ON THE WATER

A. Training (Normal progression of training and experiences on the ocean).

B. Expectations (What expectations and responsibilities are there for a new paddler?)

OPEN DISCUSSION

Lead Organizer: Al Coons ( kayakclass@verizon.net )

---------------------

DIRECTIONS:

From the south, take Rt. 1 north exit off of Route I-95. Follow that to Rt. 97 west into Topsfield. At the stop sign, the library will be on your left and a small side street immediately before the stop sign is on your right - that is East Common Street. Take a right onto this street and park in the lot on the right that is for the Emerson Center/Congregational Church.

From the north, take I-95 south to the Topsfield Rt. 97 exit. Proceed to Congregational Church on the right and Town Common on the left. Make a left turn onto Route 97 East, for 1/2 a second and then take a SHARP left onto East Common St and park in the lot on the right that is for the Emerson Center/Congregational Church.

• 4 weeks later...

Will pass your suggestion on to the person covering paddles. Since we are doing an overview and this is pointed towards those new to paddling, it certainly can be mentioned as an option.

Keith. Do you feel someone new to paddling should/might start with a Greenland?

Al

>Al;

>

>Saw the segment on paddle choices - does that include

>talking about Greenland paddles? Didn't see it called out.

>

>Keith

Al Coons

Eddyline Nighthawk

Red/White

I have found sculling easier and have other self rescue options due to the buoyancy of the paddle. The lack of feather also may make it easier for some to orient the paddle on the surface. The only downside is that you might have more trouble finding instruction at your typical outfitter.

...and greenland sticks are cool, kind of the nuvo-retro thing in kayaking.

I might be a bit biased.... :-)

But yes, going along with Bob's comment, the only real issue is finding someone to get you started. Plus maybe a bit of peer pressure.

The good thing is that the stroke most folks use when they first start paddling without training works pretty well and that the stroke is very natural, so it only takes a brief orientation to get started. They are good sources on technique available - www.qajaqusa.org has lots of good training info including short video clips.

If it would help I could probably make it down and chat with folks for whatever time you thought was appropriate (might be there anyway). Not necessary, just if its a help.

Keith

Cathy Foley, who is doing the boat and paddle sections, says she already is planning to included Greenland paddles in her presentation. She plans to bring a greenland paddle.

Thanks for the suggestions. All welcome.

Al

>I might be a bit biased.... :-)

>

>But yes, going along with Bob's comment, the only real issue

>is finding someone to get you started. Plus maybe a bit of

>peer pressure.

>

>The good thing is that the stroke most folks use when they

>first start paddling without training works pretty well and

>that the stroke is very natural, so it only takes a brief

>orientation to get started. They are good sources on

>technique available - www.qajaqusa.org has lots of good

>training info including short video clips.

>

>If it would help I could probably make it down and chat with

>folks for whatever time you thought was appropriate (might

>be there anyway). Not necessary, just if its a help.

>

>

>Keith

Al Coons

Eddyline Nighthawk

Red/White